Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Revolutions...Not Resolutions

This year I am planning a revolt. I am going to be a wild woman....experimenting with anything that crosses my path. I am going to study more so that I can give more to my students.....instead of finding a rut and just cranking it out....not like I do that...but really expose them to new and unsual approaches.
I will not make promises to anyone but my contractual obligations to teach so that I can have more time in the studio. I will not make quilts to fit catagories in either size or content and I don't care how long they take coming to fruition. I chose to work at my own discretion so that there is meaning in each piece for me....and hopefully the viewer but if not, oops!
Revolting instead of resolving gives me freedom from the guilt of not having accomplished what the resolution was. Instead the revolt can take as long as necessary to work its way into my daily routine. Ain't it about time that we all stop beating ourselves up over getting rejected, not having the right size quilt or just being lazy for a few days to contemplate where to go next. This isn't a race...it is a process.....it is an artist life. While no one could be more compelled than I to work, this revolution is an attempt to strike a balance between all the things I love....textiles, painting, photography, and even sweet Ronnie. Oh yeah, don't forget the sons and daughters and grandkidlets.
Wishing you the best year in all aspects of your life..... making lots of great art....and continuing on the path of self-discovery.

6 comments:

Val said...

Yes! Way to go! All power to your revolutions and I can't wait to see the evidence on your blog. Also a Very Happy New Year to you!

Gerrie said...

I like this. It is a process. Happy new year to you!

Melody Johnson said...

I will print this out in large type and live it too. Wonderful attitude!! Can't wait to revolt.

cfent said...

ah.. revolt...
now there's an idea! i like it!

Martha said...

What a great way to look at goals. They don't have to be rigid numbers based things that accuse us when we don't achieve them.

Anne said...

Delighted to see you're back with all your usual feistiness. Thanks to your inspiring example, this is my year to experiment . . . and blog. On with the revolution!