Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Few Bits of Local Culture

Since blogger is up to its usual tricks there will be more pic in the next post. This is a standard of some kind...not sure if it is a street light or what but it is covered with posters of upcoming events. It was just too cool to not commerate.

One of the things I love about Melbourne is the alleyways. Granted some of them are just alleys but others are chock full of wonderful little shops and restaurants. Today I took a right after leaving one of my favorite general stores...books, art supplies, food, etc...into one of the alleys. There was a coffee shop. a couple of restaurants, table and chairs to sit outside a enjoy your goodies and a small gift shop. These little treasure troves are just awaiting exploration.

All hope is lost...KrispyKreme has come to Australia. Just when you thought it was safe. Now the news is full of requiring restaurants to lower their trans fats......well, duh....and you invited KrispyKreme to the party. No offense anyone but I never got this. It's just a donut. They are good but they are still just a donut. Maybe there is something I am missing. I welcome corrections to my theory.
This is just such fun coffee shop found in the alley. I am sure Starbuck's is here somewhere but it makes my heart sing to see these mom and pop stores doing well.

Now to post the major event of the day..stay tuned. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Yes there is Starbucks but Bean Bar is where I get my coffee after getting off the train and before jumping on a tram. - Great Coffee!! and good to support the non-chain shops.

Can't comment on the donuts as I haven't tried them - can't see the point like you say!!