Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Still Here!

Hello everyone. I am still breathing and trying to work. Just tried to post pictures from Williamsburg but they were sent to the dead posts department of blog world. Will try to post them again later. Moving on....here's the skinny on what has been going on from coast to coast and in-between.

My lack of posting is due to simply being too busy...accompanied with an the overwhelming desire to not narrate my life. If you have been on a plane recently, you know what I mean. Some man or woman talking into their cell phone, "We just boarded and I am sure we will take off soon. Yes, I got to eat before the flight....lucky for me. I found a spot for my carry on with no problem. You have my schedule." Yada, yada, yada. Now call me crazy but obviously if you have their schedule you know they are flying somewhere...departure and arrival info. It is maddening to listen to this constant oration from multiple passengers. I apologize...it is maddening to me.

So...in an effort to cut down on the chatter and the mind numbing daily details of my life, I have decided to post irregulary and only when something is really happening in my life. However, for those of you who are interested.....we ate excellent food everyday in Williamsburg. I highly recommend a wonderful restaurant called "Food for Thought." If you are in the area, this is a not to be missed spot for great food and terrific service.

Thanks, dear friends, for the comments on my last post. Last week in Texas ran the gamut. At Casa de la Swain, we had snow on Monday that was gone by noon. On Tuesday it was beautiful and sunny coming in at 70 degrees F. By night there was snow again which continued until late Wednesday. This sent the entire metro-plex into a state of anxiety. Of course, we lost power periodically from Monday through late Thursday....DFW closed; trapping travelers bound for various locations....the freeways looked like parking lots...all city service offices, universities and schools closed...just an average response to snow in north central Texas.

Okay back to more personal information. I have been on the road since January. Great gigs and insightful students. Feeling good since my illness in Phoenix, except for one tiny problem....debilatating insomnia. Oddly enough this plague has not reared its ugly head when I am on the road; only when I am home. In part, the insomnia is directly related to thinking about all the things that I need to do....brain overload...warning...warning....system overload. My tiny brain tries to compute an order for accomplishing the tasks at hand. Just when there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel Murphy's Law steps in.

Some examples....my dvd duplicator has decided not to work...so I can't fill the dvd orders that I have. The above mentioned equipment has to be sent to Millis, MA for the doctor. They promise to send it out asap...but in the meantime, here I sit twiddling my thumbs. The power outages kept me from posting to Ragged Cloth on my scheduled day. The kitchen faucet decided to fall off....guess it also got tired. We had audio problems with the first edition of Behind the Seams. All my fine point Sharpies decided to go dry at the same time....preventing me from enlarging any designs.

You get the picture...I am snake bit as we say in Texas. So there it is...a tale of woe. No promises this time about posting...but hopefully things will be better. I am home until the middle of April and playing catch up every day. As the erudite economics graduate Mick Jagger once said, " You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometime you get what you need."


No comments: