Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Living the Art Life

So I've been thinking what is it to live as an artist? Are we waiting on the spirit to move us? Does the muse tap us on the head with a magic wand? Don't we all wish....I could use a good crack on the head with that wand some days. To live as an artist for me is to be constantly examining the world around me. Really looking not just floating around as we mostly do but conscious and aware. See, the thing about being an artist is that you have to believe that your work is the best thing since ice cream, and yet at the same time know that it don't mean nothing.

It's a Zen thing....like the tree falling in the woods. The work is dharma...what you were meant to do in this life....a daily exercise in connecting to the within. Seriously folks, I think my plumber is a great artist. When he is working it is like a dance, everything is moving to his own rhythm and suddenly, he takes his last step...sink unstopped. Now that is some serious dharma.

So is this really rambling or do I have a point. Fooled you, I do. We are all creative in a variety of ways. Sure some more than others but why is that. My firm belief is discipline. Talent you may have but if you don't do anything with it what good is it to you. Hard work will develop talent....and creativity can be learned. We have to allow ourselves the freedom to play and learn. Nothing is a mistake....gifts from the Buddha. that's what I call them. I learned what didn't work so now I know where to go.

Personally, I am not sure why anyone would want to be an artist. We don't make much money, we work very long hours, we try to stay in balance between ecstatic and desolate. Sheesh, this is even making me question what I do. Take heart.....there are great rewards in living the creative life. Living the life of an artist is a constant state of discovery. Living the lie of an artist is talking the game but not playing it. Get it. Just read a few of those obtuse, esoteric artist statements and you will know what I mean.

So get thee to the studio every day. If it is nothing but a page of 10 minute sketches....or looking at some great art book that inspires you. You just gotta do the work....however you can...every day.

Would I make this choice again? Occasionaly, I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then (to quote Bob Seegar). But the answer is a resounding yes. Being an artist has taken me to places both physically and spiritually that have been amazing. I am finally getting to the heart of what all this life is about.....bliss, passion, and dispassion. Finding something that essential is my wish for all of you

1 comment:

Melody Johnson said...

Living the lie of an artist is talking the game but not playing it.

I had to read that twice. The Lie part. This is so true. I know a lot of talkers who never get the work made. There is nothing as annoying as that description of 'what I am going to make' that never gets made.
What kills me is that they have the same degrees as I do! They oughta take away your artistic license if you don't produce regularly.
Ha. That made me laff.
M