Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Nanuk of the North Returns to Her Southern Home

All I have to say is BRRR, BRRR! My first teaching trip of the year was at Winter Quilt Week in Hyannisport, MA. Sue Campbell, the organizer, is an incredible hostess...articulate, talented and, as you might expect, thank the stars, a liberal progressive artist. My students were eager and very hard workers. We were working on a design class that tests everyone's limits...but they were in for the long haul. Their work and ideas inspired me...as usually happens when there is a great exchange between student and teacher...the teacher becomes the student. YOu get it, right?

However, it snowed all but two days....ocean effect...and the wind was bitterly cold. My poor little rent car was an igloo most days. Needing to brush snow and acrape ice is not one of my favorite sports. So I called home and the love of my life, Ronnie, informs me that it is 75 F. in Fort Worth. Bleech! Knowing that an Alberta Clipper is on the way to New England....than wouldn't be a ship bearing goodies...I re-arranged my flight to leave yesterday. Smarter is better. We were the last flight out of Providence. All airport in New England closed yesterday afternoon...New York, Boston, Philly, Providence.....even O'Hare and the entire midwest shut down.

So how did I get back to my principle place of residence.....through Atlanta....go south young woman. Got in late last night and am wondering why anyone ever thought that flight attendant was a glamorous job? Sheesh...the headaches of it all. So while any of you wonderful readers out there might be considering that those of us on the teachers circuit might be "rock stars" take this post as a caveat. I started my journey yesterday morning by driving from Hyannis to Providence, arrived in Providence around 11 a.m., flew out at 4:15 p.m. on a 3:15 flight, got to Atlanta an hour late for my connection, caught the next flight to DFW at 8:44 p.m. and opened the front door at 11:00p.m.. Talk about a piece of toast.

The good news is finally I am beginning to feel almost human but am giving myself a luxury...today off. Not good news since I am so behind in my work I don't know where to start...gotta get ready to go to Australia at the end of February...start my quilt for the Pilgrim-Roy challenge for the MAQS auction...and maybe make some new work of my own in my spare time. Yeah right but hope springs eternal in the mind of the artist.

Thanks to everyone who emailed and commented on the blog. This is a whole new world for me, but I do love to talk....as amatter of fact talking about art is much easier than making it but not as much fun.

So fellow artist, I will rest up today, hit it tomorrow and post in about some art talk that we had in my class that I think you will enjoy. Lest I forget, I inadvertently stopped at the Blue Heron knit shop...the car just went there...some computer glitch I am sure. Thinking of the 22 hour flight to OZ I bought just enough yarn for two scarves. Very judicious of me, no?

No comments: