Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Series, Style, Technique

As promised I thought I would discuss some of the conversations we had in my class at Hyannisport. The seemingly endless search for ways of working. What is style vs. technique? Can they be the same? When are you working in series or just doing the same old thing over and over because it is easy?
Those of you who know me are already aware I am never shy of opinions. However, it was interesting to hear the students reflect some of my own thoughts.....and even better for me to play devil's advocate. Here's one example: Somehow Thomas Kinciade got into the conversation. Don't ask how, I can't remember. The general moaning and groaning from the crowd was almost a chorale. Admit it, we all think he sold out...and this over-exposure has lessened the value of his work..blah...blah. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan but and this is a big but (no pun intended), what would you do to have his market? Isn't he the epitome of where we all want to be dollar-wise? Everyone and their dog owning some of our work whether it is a coffee cup or calendar; it is bucks in the wallet. The question is are you willing to pay the price: Selling out.

The point of style is that you work in a manner that is recognizable to the public. That brings greater name recognition and desire to see what is next on your agenda. Occasionally, style is the technique in which you work. We all recognize Ruth McDowell's work and her students work because (0nly my opinion) her technique has become her style. Does that effect subject matter or series work? Not in the least. Ruth approaches many different subjects and has done work that I would consider series but her vision is not limited by her style.

Conclusion: developing a style is good for an artist; not limiting. What about working in series?
Okay, here are my thoughts: when you find a subject matter that you are absolutely in love with you want to expess it in a variety of images...so all of a sudden you have a series.

Does that mean that you can only work on one series at a time? Can your style become series work without realizing it? I leave you to ponder these questions......post a comment and we will discuss further.

For my money, it is the process whatever you choose to do. It isn't the finished product but the doing of it that is the joy. That people like my work or not is outside the realm of my control. All I can do is make the work because I have to....can't help myself...I'm just a girl who can't say no.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

Hello Gabrielle, I've read this post several times and want to comment on "selling out" for a mass market. I'm not familiar with Kincaide's behind the scene story but a couple of years ago held many conversations with those who where disappointed with Maya Angelou's Hallmark series and viewed it as her "selling out". I was on the opposite end of this because it seemed to me that Angelou's impact and distinction and voice was already defined as vast and deep and recognizable and saw Hallmark as the greater beneficiary in the deal. I don't know if there can be parallels between Kincaide and Angelou or not, but it seems to me that selling out would be depending on the mass market to define you vs. being defined and then marketed well which I would welcome the later. But that assumes I've already found my audience as well.

As far as technique, style, and series I'm personally all over the place currently trying to find my feet with it all. Before I invest in workshops, books, etc. I have to hold a definite interest in the teacher's technique and/or style and want to be liberated by their underlying approach to teaching. I don't think I have enough body of work or am well versed to debate the questions you posed...my goal is to stay open to the processes.

Thanks for the thought provoking entry :)