Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New Project: Self Discovery

Never fear I am not giving up quiltmaking or painting but for awhile I want to focus on my photography. I am still exploring the urban/rural theme but it dawned on me that may painters use themselves as models.....so why not photographers. I have always hated having my picture taken. A childhood memory of my mom, who did not want me to get conceited by all the polite things people say about young children left me with a deep knowledge that I was not attractive.
Her comments were well intended but sent the wrong message. The main this I remember from this period was "Well, you may not be pretty, but you are smart....so use that." Not to sure she was right on that count either....but I have to take this journey.
As I am aging, I have become entrigued where that young girl was and who the woman she is today. Therefore for a while, I will be doing some self-portraits, flattering I hope and unflattering.....the raw real daily life.
There won't be any titles and maybe this is total self-indulgence but somewhere in the core, I know there will be discovery. I invite you to take this journey with me.....and please don't hestitate to comment....positive or negative. Also, please fell free to say enough already...it might not make me stop photographing but I could be persuaded to stop blogging the photos.
Yours on the path to the discovery of who I am as an artist.

1 comment:

atet said...

I think one of the reasons for few self-portraits in photography is the difficulty in being able to "see" and focus on the subject. Although, digital cameras with a "flip" screen can help to mitigate that. Enjoy the journey! I'll enjoy the photos.