Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Get Over Yourself

Since no one is reading this anyway, I thought today would be a perfect time to jump into the water with the sharks. Huh? Okay, here goes...why do all of us art quilters take ourselves so seriously? Geesy creesy, the angst if almost palatable. If it isn't the angst of "we are really artist but no one understands us," it is the opposite which I call the "rock star" syndrome. Talk about your polar opposites. I mean sheesh folks, lighten up.

So the art world doesn't think we are legitimate....is that going to make your life better when they do? I think not. If you aren't happy with what you are doing, no amount of outside validation is going to make it better. Hey, don't get me wrong, it is great to sell work because I get to spend the money. But I would still do the work even if it didn't sell. I don't think wearing outrageous outfits or like me, dressing all in black is going to get their attention. I wear black because it makes me look thinner......not because it is arty.

See the problem is the art world may never want us.....more dollars away from selling their work isn't going to endear us to them. What will we do when they don't? Keep talking art talk or doing more work. There is a famous quote from Judy Chicago that I am going to bungle but it goes something like this: "Well, first, you make some stuff and then you have to find somewhere to store it and then you make some more stuff." Right on, Judy.

You can take your work seriously without taking yourself seriously. Golly, gosh, I still have to scrub the toilet.....Marcel Duchamp aside. Can't we have fun while still making good work? Have another cosmo and chill out! Laugh when you do something the wrong way or better yet cut it up and start over again...now we are getting arty.

Here's the deal...we are getting lost along the way. "Chop wood; carry water." Being an art quilter isn't who we are it is what we do. When you start to believe your own PR, everything is on its way to the sewer. Sheesh, I am trying to rid of this ego thing instead of making it bigger. Oh it's there all right, screaming all the time like a baby...feed me....give me more. So what happens when you do feed the blasted thing...disappointment....expectations. Having no expectations is the way to freedom. When something good happens you are always pleasantly surprised; when something bad happens, you can just shrug it off. Laugh at yourself and go on to the next thing.

Unless there is a loss of limb involved (always bargaining with God...you can take the ear and legs but not the eyes and hands...gotta sew), it is a good day. Shoot a monkey, I woke up this morning 55 years old...last time I looked I was 30. Wha happened? You can lose your whole life in this rat race if you aren't careful. Wake up! Hello! What happened to enjoying what we do, savoring the moment, being happy to be alive (I checked this morning just to make sure)?

Enough, enough...my soul is purged.....I go to sew......but while I am gone....think about it...and chuckle at both of us as you read.

4 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Absolutely the best advice on the planet..
I'm gonna get right down to the studio and make something, dammit!

arlee said...

I'm so over myself, i'm beside myself---you're right---CREATE!!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Gabrielle, that is a great artist manifesto! I share your viewpoint on the chopwood carrywater way to think about getting the work done. Be Here Now, and Just Do It. How about that Ram Dass+Nike?

Anonymous said...

No one reading huh??

You are so right on here. If there is one thing I have always done is NOT cared what anyone else thinks. All that matters is that I am enjoying what I am doing. And I do. And when I don't, I go do something else. I spent too many years doing stuff because I HAD too. Since my mom died I have decided that there is just no point in doing stuff you hate or just don't enjoy.

Thank you to Mel for teaching me a new way to do things that I love and have fun with.

Blog Archive