Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

While Dusting


contemplating a new leaf design Posted by Hello

What is it with dust? You gotta reassure me that you have as much as I do. Otherwise I will be completely distraught. It doesn't matter when I dust, morning, noon, or night(yeah,like that is gonna happen), a few minutes later everything is covered again. What is the solution? Obviously, stop dusting and don't give a rat who notices. However, it leads one to wonder: where is all this dirt coming from?
Ronnie and I are relatively clean folks. We do both accumulate a lotta stuff...books...cds...fabric...yarn...blue glass...more books. But come on folks, is this where the dust is coming from? Ronnie even bought a book "The History of Dust." A cheerful read, I am sure. However, I ain't getting close to that one...probably full of dust. The one thing he did tell me was that most of the dust in our homes is our own dead skin.....yeeow! If that is true, I should be incredibly thin with a very young face. We will have to re-think that statement by the author.
So like the good quiltmaker that I am, I forgot the dusing and started working on some new designs. See above. This is just one of many that I managed to accomplish in lieu of dusting. Now I ask you what was the better deed? So happily ignoring the filth I am surrounded by....I remain yours devoted to getting more work done.....and house cleaning is not included.

2 comments:

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I read that book Gabrielle, it was really interesting, and reconfirmed by suspicion that we are all made of the dust of stars, which is pretty cool, eh? But YES, I have truckloads of dust in my house. Part of it is from having really old carpeting that is disintegrating, so there is 20 years worth of dirt in there getting recirculated everytime we move around. Also we live in the country, and there is a lot of dirt around that gets tracked in and dispersed. But yes, I suppose the rest is dead skin, ewwww, and animal hair too, don't forget that! My advice is to Quit dusting, then you can sketch quilt ideas in the thick layers that accumulate...

Melody Johnson said...

I love the leaf design m'dear! You are stellar!
As for dust, I am considering naming mine, as pets.

Blog Archive