Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, February 11, 2005

Moving the Office or How to Not Finish a New Quilt

My fellow quiltmakers, do not fall into this trap. Like many of us, I get request for gimme contributions. Mostly, I say no because I work so slow but there are two good causes that I cannot turn down. The IQA auction and the Museum of the American Quilter in Paducah. So in a previous post, I told you the story of working on the challenge quilt for the museum. Believe it or not, I have the interior finished and even have a small outer border on the piece. If I hadn't broken my digital camera, I would show you. However, this is when the trouble started....
My office and studio have been sharing the same space for months. When will Thomas move out???? I have my eye on that space for the office but he keeps coming home to visit. Love to see him; he is a cutie and very sweet but there is no way my office could be in his room when he is home. He is in law school....holds up in his room to study....we just slide food under the door.
Making a long story short, I wouldn't have access to the room while he is here. Aaargh!

To further the problem, while trying to square up and border the challenge piece, I was working on a very cluttered cutting table. The table included my light box (36"x29") which I use all the time and is no problem. However on the opposite side of the table sat the scanner and the dvd label printer. This gave me about a foot of working space. The quilt is 36" square without borders....and is probably only slightly square considering the working conditions....but who will notice, right?

Not only was this absolutely unworkable but on one side of my sewing machine cabinet sat my Cannon i960 photo printer. Now I ask you how is it possible for anyone to work in these conditions. What do I do? Forget the piece...rush to office depot...buy new desk to fit in rarely used dining room...run to Best Buy to purchase splitter to separate cable tv and cable internet connection....and start "some assembly required."

This was on Wednesday night. Tonight I am sitting at my new desk...absolutely exhausted...with the studio still in a mess from the move....but elated. Not only did I not work on the quilt but I also have a great sense of accomplishment. If there had only been a camera watching me trying to get this desk into our house...it was Laurel and Hardy move the desk. Thank the goddess that I have been working out. This thing weighed a ton....but moi, with an 11" bicep (no laughing) got the said desk into the house and assembled. Go girl power!

After the move, I have discovered a need for more storage units....another way to avoid working. Tomorrow morning I am off to Office Depot to get those great units with pull out drawers for some the important ephemera in my collection. This should finish the studio leaving me forced to work on the quilt. However, I will keep you posted if I find another way to not work.

And for my fellow knitters, check out my newest book purchase, Stich'nBitch Nation....great ideas and a hoot to read. Also, the author has a great website:www.knithappens.com Enjoy!

2 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

OOoh I went to S'n'B Nation website and saw the cuuuuuutttee shortie poncho. A-dorable. May have to go out today and see in real life. Yarn store???? Hmm.

PaMdora said...

This sounds like exactly what I would have done - buy more furniture and try to take over another room! I've discovered that it's easy to get guys to load some-assembly-required furniture into the truck, but when I get home, sometimes I have to open the box and take in inside, one piece at a time...

Blog Archive