Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Thoughts for the Coming Year

Thanks to everyone who responded to : Get Over Yourself. The responses were thoughtful and I appreciate the humor in all of them. In that vain, I though I might talk about some of the things I have on my list for the coming year. Hopefully some of these will resonate with you or that you might find them valuable.
1. I am over the art vs. craft debate. It takes an incredible amount of art to creat any piece of work regardless of the media/discipline. Along with that all media is well crafted. Painters don't paint badly, sculptors don't sculptor don't sculpt badly. This is an old, sad tired argument....and In my humble opinion an excuse for doing bad work. Don't start throwing the tomatoes yet. If you care about a piece you will execute it to the best of your ability. The piece deserves that much of your attention and devotion.....if you work mindlessly, with no intent how are you going to accomplish your goal.
2. Working with intention doesn't prevent spontaneous, ah ha moments. These will always occur if you just allow yourself to get into the zone...create a dialogue with the piece. Don't just produce for the sake of having a new piece. Remember bad technique get in the way of good art; while perfect technique is never going to save bad composition and design.
3. The pressure to produce.....a biggy in our business...but if you aren't careful you short change every piece. Painters often take many years before they feel a painting is complete. Quiltmakers are seeking instant gratification...the faster the better. Give yourself the privilege of exploring an image longer....playing with it in different ways. This always produces better work. My plan for the coming year is not succumb to this pressure and allow each piece to grow at its own pace.
4. Quote from fellow quiltmakers and judges: "I am so tired of seeing the same quilts at all the shows. Besides, this person already has won enough ribbons." Huh? Cleaning out my ears to make sure I heard this correctly. I mean, whoa doggies, I just hate when you have to look at those same Van Gogh's over and over again. One Cezanne looks like another; what can we possibly learn from looking at another Matisse. Isn't that an intrepretation of what we are saying when we utter the "I am tired of seeing the same quilts over and over again." Classic work holds up to the test of time regardless of the media.

And as to the judging thing: First, I don't believe in competitive art...another ego thing. However, as a professional quiltmaker I do need to keep my name in the public eye. It helps me push the work and is good for business. But the concept of someone not winning because they have won lots of award already is so alien to me. If it is the best quilt in the category or in the show, it should win...forget where you saw it before. This is solid work and should be recognized as such.

In closing, I am making a plan of attack for my career this year. I have been working with a great coach. If you are interested contact me privately for more information. She is keeping me on task and constantly thinking about where I want to go and why. It is always difficult to project into the future...be here now...but occasionally it is good just to contemplate, meditate and center yourself in the work. I'll keep you posted on my success...providing there is some.



No comments:

Blog Archive