Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Bittersweet Return from Canada


Grid class from left to right: Marilyn, Niccoli, Beth, Joan, Ana, and Eileen Posted by Hello
Finally home from Canmore with lots of pictures I thought you might enjoy. The location was beautiful and the Sugar Pine Company that runs the conference were the best. However, during my absence, my beloved mother-in-law of 24 years died peacefully in hospice care. The memorial will be tomorow and I have decided to deliver the eulogy. She was a very special lady...this is my way of honoring her.
On a brighter side, our son Chris, returned from his tour of duty in Iraq on Thursday. I haven't talked about this much but it has been a hard year knowing he was in harm's way. Now his return at the time of our loss is truly bittersweet.
I have to say that my work and teaching has been a refuge....thank you to all my students during the past year for making my life rich and inspiring. That's all for now but I hope you enjoy the pictures of Canada and the work of a great group of quilt artists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy you are safely home and enjoyed your time in Australia and Canada. Banff was a place my uncle and I talked about visiting to go skiing and never made it.

I am sorry about your mother-in-law and hope she passed peacefully and without pain. Like you, I cherish my mil.....

teri

Karoda said...

Welcome back and I'm really happy to hear that your son is home from his tour of duty.

The work of your students is pretty darn awesome along with the scenery of the mountains.

Elle said...

I've been enjoying tracking your travels and I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother-in-law. I am very happy to hear that your son returned safely.

Blog Archive