Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005


hand drawn lines ready to quilt Posted by HelloLife is good. My computer whizzo son, Craig stopped by to pickup his brother's hard drive and fixed my problems. I had my Norton set to block access to everything under the sun so now corrected....Stella and I are ready to send photos from Pacific Groove, Ronnie's name for Pacific Grove. In the meantime, here are today's photos of the slow handquilting that I should be doing right now. I will just add that I always free hand draw my quilting lines with a Chalkoline using white chalk only. Beware of colored chalk it can stain fabric permanently...ruined a quilt that with yellow chalk many years ago...never came out...even after washing.
The look of the hand drawn line is very inportant to me. It always looks different than stencils or ruler lines...somehow it conveys a different feeling. Alright, off to quilt.

P.S. Let me know what you think of the new template...feels cleaner to me...hope it is easy to read.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The hand quilting truly looks gorgeous. I envy you for having the patience to do it. Me, I'd rather be adding beads if I have to do anything by hand...
Love your blog!
Lisa, a dedicated blog reader

smarcoux said...

HI ya Handmaiden ... yes the new template on the blog is much cleaner looking .. that is what I thought when I saw it ... thinking ohhh this is nice.
Great work ..
Hope you had a great time in Canada.

Canadian living in the UK

Deb Lacativa said...

I like the new look...you used to have a dark background I think. This one is open, cleaner - the art shows up better.

Blog Archive