Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

A Must Have



Okay, I know I am supposed to be quilting and/or packing for California but I was packing when I stumbled onto this gem of a book.....Wow! The author is a commercial artist/graphic designer but he talks to artist of all disciplines. Iwill just quote a short passage....no where near what goodies this book contains

"FOCUS. keep my eye on the ball. my head in the game. i have heard it all before. the zen masters say: when you eat, eat and when you sit, sit. they might also say: when you design or work on an illustration, design or work on an illustration. it is so basic it becomes all too easy to overlook: FOCUS. forget about lunch until lunchtime. forget about home until it is time to go there. do what i am doing when i am doing it. every path leads to exactly where it is going. FOCUS. breathe in, design out."

How cool is that....and that was just one of 311 pages. So get thee to a bookstore because reading it from the library won't be enough time to really digest and refer back. Here's the skinny: Creative Sparks by Jim Krause, published by HOW Design Books, ISBN 1-58180-438-5....$24.95 US. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Karoda said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in the middle of learning a very challenging lesson about focus or moreso, loss of focus. I'm leaving for Lexington today for the Vagina Monologues and this has been a beast of burden. This has not been fun, I've not connected beyond mere civility with the cast, and I'm wondering after seeing VM 2-3 times...what the heck is the big deal! I'm paying for having plugged into someone else's excitement over this resulting in a great deal of stress and loss of focus. It sucks!

Melody Johnson said...

Thank you darling. This is exactly the post I needed for my day. i was so distracted all day yesterday and now i can let that go and really eat my eating and quilt my quilting.
love you, and geesh don't you ever stay home?
Mel

Debra said...

Funny... mrs. mel's comment: eat my eating and quilt my quilting got to the poem with the essence of this message (thank you ee cummings):

anyone lived in a pretty how town...
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did

Women and men(both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same

Blog Archive