Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, March 24, 2005


Contemplation Posted by Hello This is a piece of drapery weight sateen that I dye painted back in the early 90's maybe even late 80's. It is obviously too widely spaced to cut up and put into anything. Also too strong for a background fabric for applique soooo I have been contemplating doing a whole cloth quilt out of this fabric. My question: Is it a strong enough composition to stand on its own?
Granted I would do groovy quilting and add special touches with embrodiery stitches but this is very different from my usual style.
So dear readers, what do you think? That would be if you are out there....
My inclination is to go for it but when you have developed a recognizable style people expect that from you....why do I care? Art is all about doing what you want and what you are compelled to do...right? Anyway let me know what you think.
On the home front, my beloved actually had the nerve to tell me that our pantry was in a mess. Well, you know what that means...I will never again clean the pantry ever. I think that is an appropriate response...not an over reaction in any possible sense of the word. Besides, my new laptop arrives sometime tomorrow. I am still working on the Pilgrim Roy challenge and I need to start a piece to feed the soul. Pantry is way low on this girl's priority list. Sheesh, there is food in it..what more does he want?
Amid all this, I need to get ready to go to California for the Empty Spools Seminar at Asilomar. My winter clothes are mixed in with my summer clothes. I have new clothes that are still in the shopping bags..yikes! Still haven't unpacked the clothes from Canada...I know it's sounding ugly. I must apply myself to this wardrobe disaster immediately....well, maybe tomorrow, Scarlet.
Looking forward to your feelings on the fabric I remain faithfully yours in a messy house with a untidy pantry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Scarlett is my middle name ...especially when talking about my check book or cleaning anything...I say DO IT!!! The fabric is wonderful and "embellishment" would improve......(recognizable style could get to be a rut)....Ginger

Gerrie said...

I just love that piece of fabric. You didn't say what the dimensions are, but YES, I think it could stand on its own as a whole cloth quilt and we know that you will do a beautiful job of quilting and embellishment.

Blog Archive