Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Life Gets In the Way

What have I been doing? I read Melody's blog faithfully and she is painting like crazy. Not only have I not been posting but I am not at all sure what I have been doing. So here's the update for what it's worth. We had the memorial service for my mother-in-law. I managed to barely make it through the eulogy. talk about surprised...something I could do in my sleep...speak before a crowd of people...and I could barely get it done. Guess it went okay...everyone thanked me for what I said...and told me how lucky I was to have such a great relationship with her. Guess some of us have less than positive relationships with our mothers-in-law....ya think?
So now life goes back to normal right? Nooooooo! I have orders for DVD's that need to be sent out..working on them day and night.....want to keep the customers happy and myself on track but it is taking an incredible amount of time. Time I should be quilting or doing something..who knows what.
Like most of us I have great avoidance gambits.....I go to the local yarn shop.....purchase some incredible hand-dyed yarn and start and shawl. Yeah, that will get lots of quilting done...woo hoo! Then guilt sets in along with panic so I start to baste the challenge quilt for Paducah. I baste standing up with the quilt on the wall. Since this keeps me from having back problems, I thought I would share some pictures with you.
Now with all this guilt I want to add that I am not guilty enough to clean up my house so all hope is not lost. I still have the mind of an artist, just not the motivation yet...but I promise faithfully to quilt this week. There it is in black and white so I gotta do it right?

4 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

That has got to be the worst picture of you ever taken! The apron hides the fact that you have no waist to speak of and that hair doesn't look very chichi anymore. Whoever took that picture should be fed dioxin very soon.
Now about the yarn! Absolutely yummamente. Name the brand, the dyer the fiber the amount and what did it cost?

gabrielle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gabrielle said...

Melody dahling,
Silly girl...that isn't me..it is the owner of the yarn shop. The yearn is Interlacements, hand-dyed superwash merino worsted, 5 st./in,. on size 8 needles, $30 for 560 yards, available at: www.interlacementsyarns.com

Melody Johnson said...

Thank Gawd that's not you! Must clean my glasses!
O my NICE YARN, and nice to see that you have fallen down this same tasty yarn hole with me. Isn't it heavenly down here?

Blog Archive