Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Progress Report

No, I haven't fallen off the planet or retired to a Zen monastery...however the last option is sounding appealing. The past week I have been a bad blogger for two reasons. One, I have been working hard in the studio and two, we have to re-shoot all of the last dvd because both cameras weren't in the same aspect ratio. Our mistake but nonetheless a pain in the wazoo. To ease the pain here are a couple of pics of the last leaf. You remember this old thing. Finally ready to finish all the applique and baste for quilting.
When I get all the surface design work done on the leaves, it won't read so medium overall. I will add pen and ink, colored pencil and possibly Shiva to advance the leaves from the background. Easy fix much better than shooting 16 hours
of footage again.
And just for kicks and photo of my horrible office. Gremlins again only this time while I was in California someone has also totally destroyed my nice neat clothes closet and dressers. Maybe I should call Ghost Busters...can't imagine who would do such a thing.
On to the session with Eric, first Pam thank you so much for you comments. They really resonated with me. Eric agrees with you so maybe you should take up coaching. I am going back to the original mode of working with the paint. Experimental is fun but at some point you have to find what works best for you and this was definitely not it for me. First, I hate the surface of the gessoed masonite...the paint just doesn't push like I want it to. And to agree with Pam again, it is imagery I am just not interested in. I want to abstract but still want imagery that is recognizable to the viewer. You hit the nail on the head, Pam. I want the best of both worlds. Hence the last leaf....the abstraction in the background, leaf on top. So onward and upward, going to use some of my "while driving the car" photos for the next exploration.
Next quilt is river bed and rocks...will post pic of drawing soon....deciding on fabric at the moment so want to show you as much as possible.
Also have some great statements on creativity from my class at Asilomar that I must sit and post for you soon. These artist are so articulate
you just have to read some of their thoughts.
On a brighter note, got my blood work back finally.....cholestrol..173...only 3 points higher than what he wants which is 170. LDL...94 falling in normal limits so the naicin worked....HDL still a little high at 51 but the best news those pesky triglycerides are 141...well withing the normal range of 20 to 190. Guess y'all are stuck with me for awhile.
Another possible weight off the shoulders is that I think I may have found an assistant...still working on details but will know the final answer on Tuesday. This would be such a relief to me I cannot even describe how much I hope this works out.
Been thinking, meditating, day dreaming lots on where I want to go at this point in my career. Feel on the verge of a break through with the work, still optimistic about the dvds but still working on marketing ideas. Artist don't much like this end of the business...well, I should only speak for myself, but it is necessary and important if you want to get the work out there to be seen. Good discussion for another day.....any thoughts would be appreciated...maybe we could do a group discussion on this topic if y'all are open it. For now, signing off to applique leaves and start the new quilt. And again, promises to be a better blogger....but we all know when you are in a working mode there is only so much time in a day and time is the only thing we have creatively that can't be replaced. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Val said...

This is a fantabulous piece of work. It is so strong and I love the abstract yet recognisable aspect of it and the colours are yummy. Really inspiring and I can sure do with some inspiration at the moment!

Sorry to hear about the DVD snarl up but I'm sure its going to be superb. Can't wait to get a copy!

Debra said...

I remember this piece! It is brilliant now that it is finished. I was wondering if you had forgotten it.

Now be a good blogger or we shall have to haunt you.

Gerrie said...

That is a gorgeous leaf piece. My friend Sandy Chan- Brown was in your class at Asilomar. She is in the art quilt group that I started in Santa Rosa.