Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, April 01, 2005

In Violent Times, You Never Have to Sell Your Soul

As I look back at the past month, I am astounded at what all has happened to the world and to me personally. For my money, March is no longer a valid month...crossing it off next year's calendar immediately. However, nothing is all bad or all good. I did lose my mother in law, dearly loved, but my son, Chris, came home safe from Baghdad....and won't have to rotate back.
Personal stuff aside, I am also a Quiltart member as many of you are. I mostly delete but the titles are occasionally intruiging. However, we are a very self-absorbed bunch.....how can I do better work, how can I get validated in the quilt world/art world. How dare reveiwers make negative comments about an exhibit of art quilts? Whoa! folks, let's take a deep breath and relax.
With all that is going on in the world right now, what do we have to hold on to....to take comfort in? Obviously, art....but does that have to be validated publically to be worthwhile? It is in the act of creating that we are the closest to our souls......it is not in the viewer's remarks or the impact it has on the viewer. More importantly, does art have to be socially relevant? There is a load of talk about art not being art unless it addresses some deeper meaning or screams about injustice of some sort. Well, okay there is certainly a place for that art and it is a valid place......but there is also a place for beauty...just the expression of the love of the day....the joy of another day in the sun, rain or snow.

The world around us is a violent place from Florida to Baghdad, in Indonesia and Palestine, along arbitary lines in Israel and the ocean shores of Thailand. We can choose to speak to this violence or not. What we can always do is add beauty to the world.

We may all worry is it good enough but that is a trap that is inescapable....it will never be good enough. There will always be someone else whose work you admire and wish you had done.....but you gotta do your work. Looking outside is fun for ideas or inspirations but looking outside yourself isn' t the mirror; it is the mask.

That I will never be a famous artist is a given; that I will always make art is an absolute. All the violence in the world may intrude in our lives and our art.....but we have to keep working.
The point of the story is filter through your own eyes, not the eyes of the world. Make what you heart calls you to make......and don't ever sell out. Hold onto your truths.....whatever they are.
Beauty is truth.....truth is beauty.
Sheesh....I have been thinking way too much...that is what happens when a philosophy major becomes a quiltmaker......drivel.
See you when I get to California.

5 comments:

Debra said...

I'm with you on scratching March off the calendar. (but then what would the NCAA call their basketball playoff??)

I'm just getting a handle on the rest. Enjoy your time down in Asilomar.

Melody Johnson said...

Thank you for a breath of fresh air, my darling. Truth is beauty and beauty is truth is so perfect a way of looking at the grunge of the world and rejecting it as inspiration.
David Walker always says that making art is for the benefit of the artist. It is something we do for ourselves. When we lose track of that and try to make art that reflects the chaos of the world then we are just adding to that chaos instead of applying salve on the wounds.

lizzieb said...

How well said...it doesn't have to have "deep inner meaning" and lots of angst to be good art. I really enjoy making things I think are pretty. Enjoyed your reminder to get a grip on the big picture...boy did I need that!

Dave Roberts said...

I am glad your son returned safely. What a nice blog, keep up the good work...

Just surfin' thru...

Sharon said...

Hi there Gabrielle,

Before I begin - may I inroduce myself - I am the Melbourne (Australia) lady who came up to you at the Quilt Convention in Melbourne - I recognised you from your blog and dared myself to 'risk looking a fool' by intoducing myself...

I have kept in contact by adding your blog to my favorites and reading it on a regular basis...

I have read with interest your lastest entry and I guess because I have been tussling with some similiar issuses lately your thread 'touched' me...

Coming from a long line of very creative people who are/were perfectionists... Their philosphy about what they created was interesting - everything had to be technically 'right' I sometimes wonder if they had any joy from what they actually did because they were always on their guard of 'what other people would think'
In their own way they created for an external public audience - but I have often wondered did they ever create simply from some inner urge 'to just do'...

It has taken me this long (most of my life) to come to grips with I am creative as well, I always said that I was 'passed over' in that respect... Won't bore you with the details - however since turning the BIG ONE I have stockpiled my life and realised if I don't do something soon I will pass from this life without ever knowing if I could...

Years and years ago I was told that I was to work with colour in this life and at the time I must admit if filled me with dread - "I am not the creative one" I protested... Again without boring you with details - signposts throughout my life indicate otherwise...

So the journey begins... Where am I headed and to do what who knows -I only know that it is about the journey and the 'sights' along the way that interest me the most....

Blog Archive