Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Tale of the Tape

First a big thanks to Val and Sharon for your comments on my last post. I have been working on resolving this time of transition. Val, my new work is very different; almost minimal....but planning on lots of stitching and surface design. Sharon, so good to hear from you. I agree I need some time to meditate on the next step. Maybe it won't be quilts, maybe it will, but art is art. The important thing is to stay connected creatively. Hugs and kisses to you both for your kind words. They mean more than you realize and helped bring some clarity.

One of my plans for 2008, not a resolution, just a plan was to start exercising again. Not for any vanity reason but to increase my energy and stamina to make it easier to travel and teach. Also, increased energy will have a major effect on my ability to get to the studio. Bravely, I took out my trusted tape measurement to record the bad news in preparation for starting back on the program in the a.m.



Trust me, there will be no announcement on the results of the measurements. Suffice it to say, it isn't good but not as bad as I expected. Still there is much need to get busy. However, I have my trusty Concept 2 erg machine....a girl's best friend. The last time I embarked on this program it only took 13 weeks to get into shape. Since I am starting from a better weight and measurements than the original stint, things are already looking up.

Tomorrow morning just me and my rowing machine. It will take a while to build up to the hour a day that I once did....but gotta start somewhere. Besides, I have all those clothes I bought that I need to get into for the year. I am refusing to buy any new clothes....part of my revolt against consuming things I just want but don't need.

Going to oil the chain and dust of the rest of the machine to prepare for the new me. Hope I don't faint and fall over since I am in a state of total disrepair. Light a candle...I will need all the help I can get.

No comments: