Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, May 27, 2005

24 Years, 2 Centuries and 2 Millenia

Yesterday was our 24th Anniversay. Ronnie had to add the 2 centuries and two millenia...time flies. We had a lovely dinner with Charles and Christy at one of our favorite Tex-Mex hang-outs. I managed to get a few hours in the studio. Ronnie retired at 8 p.m. Now that is the perfect anniversay celebration. Christy and Charles brought us the most beautiful flowers. Ronnie surprised me with a 5 disc DVD burner.....pictures to follow...FedEx hasn't arrived yet.
The point of the story is that there is something to be said for long term relationships. Having been married twice before Ronnie, I believe I have hit the home run....don't tell him...we want him to think that he is always right on the edge. This post is to honor the dearest, sweetest man that constantly puts up with me.
Not only has he been a father to all the boys, some of which are his, but he has put up with my crazy life for all these years. One day recently he came into the studio while I was working, put his arm on my shoulder and said, " It's too bad you had to deal with all of us for all the years. Without us there is not much telling what you would have accomplished." My immediately reply was, "Yeah, but look at what I did with all of you here."
He has always been the light that kept me from falling into the abyss....my biggest fan...the humor I always need when my mood turn to funk.
Even though he will never read this.....thanks sweetheart, I owe you everything, miss you when I am on the road and look forward to all the years to come.

6 comments:

Logan said...

Why is it that so many quilters have truly loving and supportive spouses / families? Is it that we are happy with living our creative lives, and that is shared with those we love, or is it that we are loved, thus able to indulge in our creative lives? Chicken? Egg?

Congratulations on your anniversary, and I hope you have many, many more (and, of course, that they are all happy)!

Karoda said...

to answer your question logan...as i sit here teary eyed from the handmaiden's words, women who quilt are just wiser. :)

Melody Johnson said...

Too lovely and I too am verklempt. I am so happy to have met Ronnie and know his face when you describe him. A happy anniversary and happy 5 dvd recorder!!

Sonji Hunt said...

Yes, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! It is wonderful to hear of a long and happy relationship such as yours. It's nice to know that your lovely husband appreciates all the possiblities of life.

Jen said...

May you have many more wonderful years! The love and support helps us be who we are, and those of us who have it are lucky indeed. Jen

Anonymous said...

Ya know..the best part of going away is the homecoming!! Happy 24th and I look forward to wishing you two a happy 25th next year!! (we celebrate our 22nd on June 10th....it's my 2nd, his first).

teri

Blog Archive