Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Just a Small Glass of Fine Whine

All right I admit it, my life is totally out of sync. Maybe too many time zones over a period of just a few months....maybe the lost day crossing the international dateline to Australia is throwing me into a time warp but......I am upside down and backwards. Take today, for instance, went to bed at 1 am last night, awakened at 6 am, took a nap from 9 am to 9:45. Did some paper work but the much longed for day in the studio didn't happen. Had an early dinner and took another nap from 6 pm to 6:45 pm. Finally started sewing at 7 pm and still sewing at 11:27 pm my time. Just took a break to whine and wonder what is going on with my body.
Worse than today is I have totally stopped exercising....resulting in a weight gain that I cannot afford since I gave away all my other clothes....you know the size 12 and 14 I used to wear now exchanged for a size 6 after hours of laborious work. What is disturbing is I grew to love the exercising even though I am a confirmed couch potato. Exercising actually became fun and something I would not miss. I refuse to do the yo-yo thing so I have to get on track and soon. My chi must be totally screwed up.
On top of everything physical, aren't y'all totally on your last nerve over all the latest political side shows. Sheesh....this is beginning to feel like the Salem witch hunts. Pastors kicking members out of "his" church because they don't agree with him politically. Was I wrong in thinking that the congregation is the church not the pastor.....who knew I was so uninformed. And the filibuster nuclear option that will change the balance of power to an even more imperial presidency. Thomas Jefferson must be spinning in his grave. Plus doesn't the sound of anything nuclear prick up your ears...like shouldn't nuclear options be of last restort not the first thing that comes to mind. Gotta love all the Apolloanian testosterone. Let's not leave out Texas, my home state, God love it, the legislature just passed a law allowing school districts to ban sexually enticing cheerleading.......now that is one we really needed since we are at the bottom of the list in education. Most of this is thanks to Shrub(George the second) who passed such arcane education edicts that all our teachers are teaching is how to pass a stupid exit exam instead of really teaching something valuable.
Enough, I know this has nothing to do with art quilts except that it all mucks my energy flow.....then I can't work and get grumpy. Om, Om, on the range...where the yoga class takes away pain. Wish me luck tonight...back to reverse applique a few more stones for the leaf and stone quilt to be named at a later date.

4 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Love your rant!! Om OM on the range cracked me up.
I too have lost track of the diet and am afeared of getting on the scale.
I must rollerblade today despite a packed schedule. The flatter stomach is around her somewhere.

Deb Lacativa said...

It must be a (temporary) planetary arrangement. For several minutes yesterday, I contemplated what a quilt named "ennui" would look like. nothing came to mine. look, i can hardly raise the strength to capitilize. I know things will be better soon - my pool is filling and today, I will make my first attempt at fusing.

Debra said...

Gabrielle,

Although some of this might be spring fever, some of your problem could be a confused internal clock.

Starting tomorrow, choose your old "regular" time to go bed. And GO then for atleast the next 5 days. Try to stay in bed for atleast 6 hours (8 would be better).

Once your internal clock is reset, the exercise and creativity should all return. Atleast to the level of spring fever.

I so envy you all who can work after sunset. My eyes just don't focus after about 7 pm.

Gerrie said...

Thank you for doing the political rant that I felt compelled to do, but instead went for the crafty pillow pics!

I am in a total creative block - feel as if I should not have gone on vacation - can't get back in the groove.

This too shall pass.

Blog Archive