Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Live From Watauga

Sheesh....where did the time go? This week everything fell apart. At least my sleeping schedule is back on track. Thanks for the tips, Deb. As you can see I am off on the road again. This time to The Applique Society Show and Conference in Denver. Oh, the exciting life of a contemporary quilt maker....as shown in the pictures below. So for all of you who are considering going on the road....be afraid, be very afraid. Look at what your life will turn our to be...see below. Don't get me wrong. I love my job.....love teaching and the students but there is a price to pay.
Working by hand affords me the privilege of getting a lot of work done on the road. However, there comes a point when I have to be in the studio to finish....that would be now on the leaf and stone thing. So you have to give up studio time....fair enough. There is great return in teaching...just warning you ahead of time. Then there is the housekeeping you will have to give up. This isn't a big problem for me since housekeeping isn't a strong suit but there is a limit. Like sheets and towels piled up in the laundry room floor and the kitchen and bathroom beoynd reclaimation.
Also, there is the constant packing and unpacking because you are going from one type of weather to another....not to mention elevation or time zone. Last but not least is social contact....outside of the quilt world that is. Lucky for me I am a major league recluse, waving to the neighbors on the way to the airport.....but if you are a social creature, you will have to divide the time pie into another slice. Again, let me stress...ha...let me be stressed...oh let me be...sorry I digress, there is unprecedented return in doing what you love....but there is a cost.
This report is live from Watauga with two credible sources.....completely unabridged.

No comments:

Blog Archive