Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

A new Direction looms on the Horizon

As a part of our anniversay celebration, Ronnie and I made our quarterly trip to the book store.
As you can see, there was lots of good material that was apparently lacking in my library. While there has only been time to give these gems a cursory look, they are high on the recommendation list. Hope you can find them and enjoy them as I hope to.
Now for the big news flash...after the trip to Denver, something kept floating in and out of my feeble brain and into the sketch book. Faithful readers, there is a change afoot. When teaching, I keep talking about doing "painterly" work. Well, duh, light bulb finally went on. There is about to be a big change (or maybe not) in my work. Never fear still hand applique and hand quilted but a distinct imagery change. There will probably still be leaf quilts...my passion....but the desire to do a more painterly image is calling.
With the long weekend still in progress, I am off to the studio to start the first piece. Wish me luck...stayed tuned for pics.
On a less than positive note, DHL has lost my 5 DVD burner. They show that it was picked up 5/25 for delivery 5/26 but have no idea where it is.....even searched lost and found. Now I ask who would need a 5 disc burner? Will update the progress as it unfolds...just remember this phrase: "Until I hear the word "yes," I have not spoken to the right person.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Gabrielle,

We shall both pray to St. Anthony for our misplaced items.

I've heard a number of people talk about "painterly" styles. I still don't think I understand what the term means. Eager to see your new direction.

Blog Archive