Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Can This Studio Be Saved

First, can you tell I am avoiding sitting down to quilt....sigh! Absolutely, the last post today. In a moment of madness, I decided to join Julaine's clean your studio challenge. Remember I am already in cleaning mode. However, until I veiwed the pictures, I had no idea what I was getting into. Isn't there some quote about creativity and clutter? If not, let's think of one quick.
My old motto was a cluttered studio is a cluttered mind....you know, can't find anything when you need it...spend more time hunting than working.
Of course, I have a good rationalization...trying to get several pieces ready to quilt and then getting ready for market. My grandmother would have suggested, "Clean as you go." Sorry grandma, I missed that mark.
Now you can all feel better...where I work is a 12' x 12' room and look at all the clutter you can get into such a small space. More importantly, we all share the same disease....somehow we can take comfort in that....or maybe we should be afraid.........very afraid at what is under all that mess.
Shutting up now....simply must quilt.

5 comments:

Deb R said...

Your house looks totally normal to me. And those stacks of fabric are extremely decorative! :-)

Debra said...

My personal favorite is:

A perfectly clean house is the sign of a totally empty mind!...

So perfectly clean studio is the sign of totally blocked artist???

jenclair said...

So envious of all the fabric, and understand the compulsion for MORE even if you don't use it all in this lifetime!

Del said...

My current favorite is
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.  
 A.A. Milne  1882 - 1956

Sonji Hunt said...

I just don't think it's that bad, except for that poor plant. Sit it in the sink with some water for an hour and it will perk up.

Blog Archive