Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Dirty House Pixies

What happened to my humble abode? Awakened this morning, fully rested after a nice day off, only to discover someone has broken in to the house and made a mess of it. Nothing was taken...oh, no they couldn't have been that nice. Instead, they brought junk with them and left it. Not only that but they also made a mess of every room. Who would stoop so low?
This cannot possibly be my fault. Or could it be that I managed to not look at what was happening while getting ready for market? Nah, it has to be the dirty house pixies....creeping in at night while I was sleeping. Nasty creatures who just play with no thought of the consequences. Something must be done about these vermin. Who you gonna call?
Not a housekeeper, 'cause I would have to clean up before I could let them in. Of course, I am not too embarassed to post it to the blog...but then you don't get the full effect in pictures. You can't see the dust bunnies, the cat hair and notice there were no pictures of the bathroom. New life forms are growing there. Don't want to disturb flora springing forth new life.
What is one to do? A plan, that's the answer. One room at a time...should be finished...oh, late 2007. There is all the other stuff I have and want to do. Finish the blue abstract quilt, now titled "Sea Stones" for Visions so I can have more than one entry. Finish the new leaf quilt, still untitled. Follow up on all the market obligations, i.e. brochures to distributor. Enlarge two new drawings.....obviously, this is how I lost control of my living space. It is way down on the list of things to do.
I blame my mother. Hey, that's always a good excuse. Bless her heart..she always had a maid and never made me do anything. Remember I was an only child....the good news is I was fairly pampered; the bad news is I never learned how to clean house. On the other side of the coin, it doesn't bother sweet Ronnie.....shucks...why couldn't he have been a neat freak? If he were, this would have long ago been cleaned out of self defense. He doesn't care and he doesn't know how to help since his mother also always had a maid. Injustice, I say. How could our parents have left us so unprepared as home owners?
For sure, nothing is going to get done sitting at the computer. All right, I can take it....I am an adult...well, that might be a bit of hyperbole. Two to three hours cleaning won't damage my psyche and might make a bit of a dent in the disaster. Keep me in your thoughts...hopefully nothing will fall on me, bite me back or give me some new, yet to be named disease. I remain yours stunned at my own lack of skills.

8 comments:

Val said...

Oh you are a girl after my own heart. You can come and stay anytime! Grin. And fortunately for me Martin does housework if I'm not quick enough off the mark - as if I would be! Bigger grin!

Teri said...

No one in my family ever had a maid, so I can't use that as an excuse. My mother said I would outgrow my distaste for cleaning... she was wrong. The problem at my house is no one else cares if it is a mess either.. so mom going on strike doesn't work. My motto is "Neatness... sure sign of a sick mind". And I'm very well adjusted!

jenclair said...

When I get pushed to actually doing the work, I pretend that I'm someone else. Otherwise, I have trouble seeing the problem (much less the solution).

Deb R said...

What Teri said....we never had a maid, but I'm still a slob! LOL!

Your house looks very homey to me. And I LOVE your wall colors.

Debra said...

As the only girl in the family... I WAS the maid!! Atleast looking at your photos your studio is clean.

Deb Lacativa said...

yes yes..2 or 3 hours is too much at once! I have developed the daily 90 minute domestic intensive! I spend 90 minute in one small room or one corner of a large room. Skim the clutter and then focus right down to 6 inches. It takes 4 hours in the studio to recover.

Melody Johnson said...

ditto on the congrats!! I got to see it online and it looks superb.
NOW about having TWO ENTRIES for Visions...eeeekkk!
I am so way behind...boohoo...
I have been house cleaning, a total waste of creative energy.

Diane Perin said...

Gabrielle, I had to laugh at your post, because from time to time I have entered my own house and exclaimed "Who made this mess? Who broke in and messed up our house while we were gone?" Then Caroline was little, maybe 4 or 5, she looked at me with such alarm and shock, I had to explain the joke to her...not surprisingly, not long after, she exclaimed that someone had gotten into her room and messed it all up and it wasn't HER.

Blog Archive