Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Quick Update

Finally made our way through the judged show....wow! A great show very even in all respects. Won't say too much and no pictures so as to not spoil the visit for those coming to festival. Tomorrow we are viewing the Husquvarna exhibit...can't wait to see all the beautiful pieces in a gallery setting.
Y'all are the best support group. Thanks for all the kudos. We had another good day. Appointment tomorrow with fabric company that wants to talk with me about designing a line for them. Will let you know how this goes....not something I have ever considered so we will see what is involved. However, the idea of working in Photoshop and just sending them discs does pique my grey cells.
A special thanks to Val and Sonji....glad you like the quilt...I kinda love it even if I do say so myself. Can't wait to get home and start sewing it together.
And to pay my tag dues, here are 20 nifty things about me...some we already have in common from what I've had a chance to read.

1. I am an adopted only child.
2. I used to ride cutting horses and do the rodeo thing.
3. I was in the Miss Texas Pagent semi-finals.....no joke, wore a red evening gown and sang Sweet Nuthins'by Brenda Lee.
4. The same year I cut a demo record for a songwriter who wanted Brenda Lee to use his song.
5. I used to be a hand model...obviously before becoming a quilt maker which makes your hands look well used.
6.My favorite snack as a teenager was jalapeno peppers and milk...yummy!
7. My three youngest sons were born at home...the most spiritual experiences of my life...being fully aware of bringing a new soul to the planet.
8. I have never wanted to be anyone other than who I am...never wished I had someone else's life.
9. During my mid-twenties, I had a weekly radio show in Houston that discussed metaphysical philosophy, tarot, astrology, etc.
10. I could live on carrot cake...practically health food, right?
11.In the past five years, I have seen Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young three times, Eric Clapton's first farewell concert, The Who with Zack Starkey as drummer,very cool...Peter Frampton and Jethro Tull, absolutely magical.
12. I still feel as young as I did 30 years ago, but much smarter.
13. I have no regrets...could have done without some ex-husbands, but life is for learning.
14. I love Lorenna McKennett...work to her music to get to that magical place.
15. I am truly, madly, deeply in love with my husband....but I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.
16. I pay big bucks to have my hair three shades of red and love every minute of it.
17. I was a bartender when I was in college and still make a mean margarita and a perfect cosmo.
18. I used to own a yellow Porsche....and looked too cute driving it...but then everyone was cute at that age.
19. I admire and respect my sons and their wives and children for the lives they are living.
20. I wake up every morning excited by the joy of living, but don't care if I do die do because the wheel has to turn.

8 comments:

Rayna said...

Have been reading all your posts, between making fabric and packing. I'm done and ready to go to bed so I can get up in a few hrs. Sounds like a profitable and exciting tour de force, Gabrielle. Meeting with fabric co sounds interesting. I'm off to Houston in the morning. I'll drink a martini for you during the week.
R.

Val said...

Wow! Great news about the fabric deal. Sounds like a lot of fun! Looks as if this trip was well worth while and there you were worrying about it! Just goes to show talent will out!

Sonji Hunt said...

I'm so glad that Houston is going well for you Gabrielle! You will be so exhausted by the time you get home that you'll have to hibernate for a while, but probably won't have the time!

We have #1 in common on your list. I didn't put it on my list for no particular reason. I guess that I just didn't think about it. And I am totally fascinated by your three shades of red hair! Dynamic! I used to have purple hair. A big fountain of it. Then I just got tired of it. I'm lazy and the maintenance was too much for me to handle.

Good luck with the fabric company today! I hope you get what you want.

jenclair said...

It has been fun to view Houston through your posts and pics. Can't wait to see the way translate all of your inspiration and opportunities (especially designing fabric) when you get home!

Deborah Boschert said...

Me, too! I am so intrigued by the idea of a Gabrielle fabric design. Exciting!

Gerrie said...

Loved your twenty things - what a great life you are living!!

Debra Dixon said...

Congratulations on your Madonna piece getting a ribbon! Your handquilting was very beautiful and Rian and I stood and admired your piece gushing that we "knew you".

PaMdora said...

Just remembered that I never commented on your 20 somethings, but what a great list. You sound like you've lived about nine lives, all different. Isn't that fun! Makes you a very multi-talented and interesting individual.

Blog Archive