Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Knitting Answers

My thanks to all the wild women who knit for responding to my cry for help. The scarf or whatever,you know I am making this idea up as I go along, is currently 8 inches wide and 6 and 1/2 long. The yarn is 88 yards per skein and I already have another skein. I am knitting on size eight needles, with five stitches to the inch.

I am sure I have a magic book somewhere that would give me the answer.....but that would mean un-cleaning something I have already thrown on a book shelf or into a closet. Isn't that the way everyone cleans?

Originally the yarn was going to be a pair of socks for me....but I got side tracked by this idea. Being side-tracked seems to be my current m.o.

Thanks again for any help you can give...ho, ho,ho!

2 comments:

atet said...

I'd say reduce the number of stitches in the width -- maybe take it down to 6 inches? That should still give you nice coverage and give you a few more inches to play with. If you have another skein -- that should also cover any length issues you have! Have fun with it!

Sandy said...

Another suggestion, because the yarn is beautiful and needs to be something, is to up the needles to #10 and change the width to about 7". This will make the knit looser and you will get more length, but it will still be warm wrapped around the neck. Try the dreaded word *swatch*. Another suggestion is to add a button hole as you near the end, and then sew a big fancy button on the other side- that way the pin won't get lost with all the taking-off/ putting on that these things have to handle. Sandy