Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Long Island Bound

I still have so much to do it isn't funny but just wanted to say so long til I get home. I broke down and bought the bathing suit (remember the camera adds ten pounds) and you know who ain't the best photographer...sheesh, you just press the little button but that might be to hard. Thom, came home for the weekend so I finally got a snap of him for you to see. Keep in your records that he will be an attorney soon...you never know when you will need one.
And you know me, I can't leave without some sort of rant. I have been thinking...uh, oh....a lot about why it is important to be "famous." I can already see your eyes rolling now...and I can just hear you saying, "No one cares whether they are famous or not." But I kinda think that the little guy in your head is saying, "Wait a minute, I do."
Maybe it is just the recluse in me or maybe I am just getting old but I have come to believe that the price of fame is too high. When you are younger, the appeal is very strong.....suffered from it myself....it wasn't exactly fame but validation and acceptance....and maybe that is what I really mean instead of fame.
Somehow it always turns out the more you get; the more you want and the less it means. "Fame is a fickle mistress." We set ourselves up with expectations and then when things don't turn out as planned, we are totally bummed. Trust me art is one of the worst careers as far as wishing for fame. It has all become about marketing and not the work....about which gallery represents you.....even appraisal is about who you are not what you make (which does make sense).
So on a Sunday, packing to go to Big House Quilter's Retreat, I leave you with this...get rid of your expectations, just enjoy the process and then when something wonderful happens you will be pleasantly surprised....when nothing happens, you won't be disappointed....you will just keep on working. Expect only to grow in your work both technically and artistically and forget the rest...rely on the work to get you where you want and to give you what you want.

1 comment:

Deb R said...

Never mind the bathing suit (which is cute though!)...the color of the walls and door behind you is what caught my eye. That green ROCKS!

And BTW, your "no expectations" attitude is exactly what I try to do with juried exhibits. That way it isn't crushing when they say no, but is a lovely surprise when they say yes.

Blog Archive