Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Temporary Lapse of Sanity

Do you ever have one of those moments while you are working on a piece that for some reason you think you need another pair of eyes? And at that moment, do you ask your beloved husband to take a look at your new piece? For some of you whose sweeties have a great eye this might be a logical decision. For me, this is a moment of temporary insanity. A little background: Ronnie's favorite quilts are brown and blue lone stars.....great quilts, but obviously not the way I work.
Back to the studio....the landscape piece is still in the works...ya know this working by hand is so satisfying but fast it ain't. The piece was at a place where each addition was constantly in question...nothing looked right...still not sure about that. End of story: Ronnie agrees to look at piece, walks into the studio and says, "What is it that I am supposed to be looking it?"
This is the moment when you want to hit him over the head with the iron....or at least take a few small cuts with a rotary cutter. Instead, you say nevermind but mean nevermore. Ronnie goes back to watching the Discovery channel. Life returns to normal. You consider buying a new pair of shoes to repair your fragile ego.......and still wonder what the heck is going on with your new piece.
Remember this is the new attempt at different imagery for me.....so struggling doesn't even half describe the state of my process. There is still lots of work to be done on it but I posted a couple of pictures anyway. Oh yeah, another comment from Ronnie, "There are so many little pieces....isn't it kinda busy?" Yes dear, it is quiltmaking where you cut up little pieces and sew them back together...we don't even have that conversation. New shoes are getting closer and closer.
Working by hand affords you the privilege of looking at each piece a long time...too @##$ long in some cases. This quilt is probably at the stage of over thinking and just needs sewing time but uncertainity keeps creeping into each choice. To answer, my own question, today will be spent just sewing the stuff together and see what happens next. It could end up in the trash; it could work out okay. The moral of the story is "What was I thinking?" All Ronnie added was more angst to the process.....not a usual emotion in my work. For those of you who also reach this point, just keep on working...the time lost thinking about what someone else says is sewing time lost.
On a completely different subject, I watched Black Hawk Down again yesterday while sewing. It isn't Iraq, of course, but it made me realize all that my son went through during his year in Baghdad and what all our children are still experiencing.....I broke down in tears....and wanted to call him to tell him how much I love him...how glad I am he made it home safely...how proud I am of all that he did being there for his guys (He is an NCO)...and how deeply I want every mother's son and daughter to be out of harm's way. Peace and love to them all.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Hah... asking hubbies opinions... Mine thinks that "everything goes with plaid"... and symmetry is always the answer. So I know what questions to ask him:

Is this symmetrical? (when I want it to be).

About your piece... it has very strong composition to it (I'm having problems spelling this morning). There is one section that doesn't seem right to me (who knows if it's where you are questioning). At the place where the two strong diagonal lines converge there is a whole lot of busy going on. And on my screen it doesn't work. Everything else in the composition seems fabulous.

Blog Archive