Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

More Progress

As promised, here a pictures of the next steps in the process. I try to work similar to the way I painted......putting in background first and then selecting color to define shapes. The process is always built from background to foreground with much tweaking even to the bitter end. The next step is to put the cut shapes back onto the light box, position them over the proper place on the drawing, pin each to the other and baste inside the sewing line. After that it is just needleturn each shape until the piece is finished. Photos of above steps to follow....frankly, after spending the whole day in the studio, I ran out of steam....had to eat....and finish sewing on the original piece.
This colorwork is way different for me...so we will see. At the moment, it seems god awful but there really isn't enough done. Story on the colorwork: This fall at Houston I filled in for Gerald Roy's Interaction of Color class.....hadn't read the book in 20 years....had to dig in the garage to even find it. However, I remembered how fascinating Albers approach was. With this re-discovered knowledge, the new series is based on the Albers concepts instead of color theory. Gotta tell you it isn't as easy as it sounds but so far very enjoyable and fascinating. Stay tuned for more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I did my master's thesis at Penn State on Color. gotta dig out my Albers book and revisit this!! I'm enjoying the process.

Deb Lacativa said...

So you don't build on a fabric base, you nail the pieces together...aha..
The light is dawning.

Blog Archive