Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A resolution of sorts


Finally, channeling interaction...still a few small pieces but basically done
So the quilt is almost finished and what happens, nothing works in the middle section....absolutely nothing. Hours later finally resolved...see posted results but it is just a resolution, probably not the most exciting of interactions. None the less, there is learning happening and the next piece is in the wings.
This has been such a revelation....and such hard work. When you are accustomed to working with color theory and suddenly change mid-stream, all the synapes start miss firing. I am sure the piece could be better and maybe someday, I will try again. For now, it works for me. What do ya think? Be honest...my brain is so fried I won't remember who said what anyway. Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Debra said...

Yep... I would say those orange pieces work in the center... ofcourse that's color theory. I like this piece more than the first piece you worked on. And I like 95% of that piece...

The composition seems more cohesive here.

Deb R said...

I think it works. In the previous photo it was looking a little muddy to me, like everything was too close in value, but that could have been the photo, not the quilt. In the final version, you brought in some fabrics that seemed to lighten up the center a bit, which is a Good Thing.

I think it lacks focus compared to some of your other work. (And I hope to god you were serious about wanting honesty!!) I feel like my eye just kind of wanders around the piece without quite knowing where to go. I miss having some element(s) to lead me through the piece. But as a direction to experiment with, I think it has interesting possibilities.

(I love the new garden bed photos too. Very nice!)

Gerrie said...

I like the energy that comes from using the complements in the center however, I agree with debr - it seems to lack a focus or a balance of design that moves your eyes over the piece. Overall, it is still lovely and a happy experiment!!

Blog Archive