Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A Solstice Surprise

Happy Summer! The solstice has arrived, but especially in Texas. We have 100 degree F. weather just to remind us....and the sun won't set until after nine p.m. today.I was going to row the solstice challenge today, 21,000 meters in one day, but luck has saved me. My grandson is visiting from Virginia so I get to spend the day with him......and then ta da, today is Craig and Kelly's 2nd Anniversary so I get to babysit with the twins while they celebrate a milestone. (Of course, I could be rowing right now instead of talking to you....nah.)
The Solstice has brought a very interesting energy to my consciousness or maybe it was yoga class last night but anyhoo, some decisions have been made. There is a new studio re-work on the horizon. I have decided to rid myself of most of the fabric I have collected over the past years. Being altrustic (don't that just make you feel so generous), I am going to donate it to the local guild for community projects. It is already a weight off my shoulders and I haven't even packed a box....just the idea has cleared my mind. Watch out Rubbermaid tubs, here I come.
What is the point of this story? From time to time, we all need to re-evaluate what we need in our lives. Not just stuff...which we all have too much of, but it is such good stuff....but also ways that we think and act. That turning over a new leaf thing....appropriate for me, no?
So that is another change....no new leaf quilts for awhile....not forever, just going to focus on other imagery for the time being.
Occasionally, we work in a way for so long that it becomes too easy for us. We can just crank it out without much thought...doesn't mean it isn't good, just second nature. You all know how much I love leaves and what they stand for in my work so their won't be an end, just a hiatus.
In light of this change, four sketches night before last in the new work just sprang from the pencil. Hopefully, before the week is over I will have pic of the drawings for you to see. Keep your fingers crossed for me.....this is new territory.....which will require thinking, I hate it when that happens.
So if something becomes too easy, question why.....and give yourself some time to develop a new direction. The process can still be the same....for me hand applique and hand quilting but imagery is out there waiting to be explored. BTW, you know this could be the end of my career...you know how when you get recognized for a style and that is what viewers expect from you....so I could be dropping of the map quickly....scary but exciting.
Between the cleaning and the new work looks like an interesting week ahead.

1 comment:

PaMdora said...

It's good to try new things. But for an established artist like you, your new things will still be your unique vision, so I won't worry about getting dumped by your fans. Just go for it! Anyway, seems like the longer you work, the more you find yourself back at the same place (source of inspiration, I mean.)

Blog Archive