Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The "C" Thing just for Karoda

Here's the run down so you can understand the question asked by Karoda. My sons are named: Charles, Craig, Christopher, and Thomas. My twin grandsons are named Collin and Cyrus. Karoda asks if this is a family tradition like in geneology. Oh, if it were that interesting. Basically, I just wasn't thinking until I got to Thomas, who actually bears the family name as his middle name...another story.

Charles is named for my father, being a daddy's girl, I wanted to honor him. Craig's story is much more interesting. When I was pregnant with Craig, I worked in two night clubs, The Magic Forest and the Occult Cafe both in Houston. Don't get excited I wasn't schelping orders...I was reading Tarot cards. We also had numerologists, astrologers, graphologists, etc. The bartender at the Magic Forest was always worried about me...brought me smoothies he would mix behind the bar and free healthy food from the kitchen. His name was Craig Culpepper......hence the name... Craig. Besides, I loved how Celtic it sounded and so manly. Okay anyway, he is named for a bartender. His middle name is Anthony for his Italian god father...no joke.

At this point, no thought was given that they both had "C" names.Then along comes Christopher who I was sure was going to be a girl. His name was going to be Kyrie but instead he fooled me and turned out to be a boy. Being a married to a numerologists, he had to have the perfect name....so Christopher it is...got those lucky "h's"in there. Little did I know every other boy born that year was named Christopher. He went to school with about half of the class named Chris....we even had two neighbors named Chris. However, he has a great niddle name, Benjamin, again after my father.

Now it dawns on me...what have I done! It was like roll call around here, running through every name until you hit the right one. And then surprise, pregnant again with Thomas. Bound and determined not to give him a "C" name, much thought was given. Thomas was named after a tv character, Thomas Sullivan Magnum...remember, Tom Selleck and Hawaii. However, Thomas does bear the family name: Thomas Harlan Swain.

So Karoda here is the family tradition: my husband is Ronald Harlan Swain, his father was Francis Harlan Swain and his father was Mitchell Harlan Swain. This all coming from Harlan county Georgia....wish I knew more of the story but it was lost along the way.

As to Collin and Cyrus, Kelly and Craig did that on their own....partly because they are twins and partly because of the meaning of the names. I know they will live to regret calling both boys when they only want one but that will be much later.

And, if that isn't bad enough, Chris' family is all "j's" except for him. Wife, Jillaine (Jillaine Swain, isn't that a name that was meant to be...oh the illiteration of it all), daughters Jene' and Jayden. The new baby boy is going to be Jace....don't even ask me where that came from and I hope that the spelling is correct. He will also have Chris' middle name Benjamin so grandma may just call him Ben to throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Charles' sons are Tristan and Gareth, again that Celtic thing but at least you know the difference when calling them. So that's the story....all the other boys are requiring that Thomas have a son who carries the Harlan tradition but who knows what the future will bring.

Just to add some fun to the mix, I was such a hippy chick that Craig, Chris and Thomas were all born at home with a midwife. This way I know they couldn't have been changed at birth since they never left my side. Although there are days that I would swear they belong to someone else.....and in fact, now they all do except for Thom. Now they all have their wives to keep them
doing the right thing.....I gladly relinquish that duty. Keep you fingers crossed that Thom will be so lucky but after law school.

2 comments:

Jen said...

The siblings in my DH's family are: Jim, Judy, Jane, Joe, John, Jeff, Jerry, and Joel. They used to joke that his mom would stand in the doorway just making that J sound and never getting the name out. I guess I fit right in, I am Jenny.

Karoda said...

Jenny, that is cute about the "J" sound.

Gab, your story of naming is what I call the substance to genealogy beyond just names and dates...its what makes family history intriguing. So do you do readings when you teach at your quilt workshops? I use to be a consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics and the most fun I had was at a backyard bbq where I did facials and another customer of mine came along and did Tarot readings!

Blog Archive