Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Open Discussion

Since we are all artist of one kind our another, the thought struck me that it might be valuable to start a discussion on some of the aspects of our work. My hope is that you will enjoy participating in this and that we can get some juicy conversations going. So for the first topic, here's a quote to ponder: "Inspiration is indispensable to my work, but it is hard to come by. It is there or it is not---it is a gift of the gods." Louise Nevelson
In this time of production is everything...you are only as good as your last quilt...and we have to make x number of quilts a year to be viable....this quote from Louise Nevelson really struck home with me. Work cannot be forced, it has to come from an inner compulsion....or maybe she is saying something else. Don't you just know when something is right? When the piece is working itself and you are just the instrument through which it flows?
Since marketing came into the picture, my feelings are that we are all pushing the work and not allowing it to come to us. I know it is important to keep your name out there but you gotta dance with the girl that brung ya...and that is the work. We get so caught up in the external that we forget it is the internal that is driving us. We have an obligation to ourselves to listen to that inspiration and follow it where it leads.
Looking forward to your comments and hopefully continuing with more quotes.

5 comments:

lizzieb said...

Oh, what a great topic! I feel it is important to work on art whether you feel like it or not. Strange, but I don't believe in a muse. Not all work comes from the heart but every piece I make leads to something else. I can't not make art.
There are many times however, when I have a thought going around and incubating, waiting for the right time to emerge.

I start gathering the ideas for it (in my head) and play with it and then start working. This is a time when I can only work on one thing and will see it completely through. At night in my sleep I will work out the next step and wake up ready to go to that step. I find that sometimes I need to step back from a piece for a day and just reflect and then let the answer come to me at night duirng reflection.

Now, there is another type of work I do that has a totally different pattern and that is my work for the Episcopal church. This is something that I pray about and think about and ask that the Holy Spirit be with me during the process. When I am doing work for the Glory of God, I am in a different place during the creative part of it. I know when it is flowing right and I feel the Presence with me and those pieces are some of my best.

The muse? YOu can wait til hell freezes over if you just sit around waiting for a special visit. We have to make it happen. I can get inspired just by looking at several pieces of fabric colors and away I go.

Melody Johnson said...

Oohh good discussion topic. I will address this on my blog and refer back to you.
Liz, you and I work so similarly, wow!

Debra said...

When I talked with Liz at AQT last fall, the one key piece I got from her (how to become an art quilter) was.. WORK EVERY DAY. Work whether I'm inspired, happy, miserable. And, though I don't do it well enough, I try.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. ~Jack London (John Griffith)"

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I think you are right Gabrielle, the work absolutely can't be forced. And the muse/inspiration is the reason the work needs to be made. Otherwise, why would I bother? If I don't have that external (or is it perhaps really internal) inspiration or muse come visit me on occasion, then I think I would be working mechanically as if I was basically a technician. Maybe a talented technician, but the art won't be as meaningful to me or the viewer.

Diane Perin said...

Fascinating discussion to open, Gabrielle--I'm posting my comments on my blog as well. Definitely something to think about...

Blog Archive