Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Self Portrait November 1




This month's self portrait Tuesday is an exploration of identity. This was my first choice because I share this identity with so many other parents. The year my son spent in Iraq was a constant flow between believing he would be okay and sudden outburst of overwhelming anxiety. There were weeks that would go by that never a worry crossed my mind, then suddenly I would implode in crying jags ...total melt-down. So my first exploration into my identity is as a mother of a son I admire, respect, and the young men who were in his platoon. Sarge did the best he could to take care of his guys. He has done his six years and will soon be discharged.....but he will always be a hero to his father and I. However, just because we are one of the lucky ones doesn't mean that we need to stop being concerned. Bring every parent's sons and daughters home safe and sound.....please.Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

Bravo!!! Let us end the insanity!

Deb R said...

Yes, Gabrielle! Great photo.

Deb Lacativa said...

Gabrielle, I am so glad he is home safe. As a mother of two sons, 20 and 25, I live in fear of a draft or their inclinations and hold my breath until all the soldiers come home and this madness is over.

Blog Archive