Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Art Quilt Rant or Profoundly Annoying Discourse

Stop here if you are in a good mood and don't want to think about anything but fun today. Diane
and Deborah have brought up a great discussion based on Diane's teapot design. There have been great comments posted on what works for one artist also working for another. Deborah questioned whether feed/flour sacks were really art quilts even though she agrees they are art. Elle mentioned a shark trapped in lucite....yikes! Great discussions but here comes the rant so you can get outta here if you need.

We are all working so hard to be different that we are reinventing the wheel. What ever happened to the idea that a quilt should be quilt-like regardless of the imagery. Don't get me wrong I am all for avant garde but remember today's avant garde is tomorrow's ho-hum. It is timeless, classic work that holds up through the years. Currently, we are all into surface design which is perfectly wonderful by me but it is still cloth used as a quilt. Surface design is just another approach to putting imagery in cloth...another way to express our voice. Next week it will be something else that we have discovered to create imagery....but we are still going to be making quilts.

There is a big movement afoot in the art quilt world for us to find a different name to call our work so it will sell better....inference being nobody would want to buy a quilt...it is so old-fashioned and associated with women's domestic work. Huh? So you are telling me to call this something else and the viewer walks into the gallery and says,"Isn't that a quilt?" Oh no, it is fiber something fill in the blank. Folks, this is simply a marketing technique not a way to elevate the work. The work doesn't need to be elevated...it needs to be accepted....validated. To change the name is to say we aren't sure what we are doing is art so we need to call it something to make it art. Blast it all, who cares what the media is if it is good work.

Why are we trying so hard to move away from a perfectly acceptable art form. For my money, you are misleading the viewer if you call a quilt some fancy name and they can obviously see that it is a quilt. Just to drop some names: Jane Sassaman, Ruth McDowell, Velda Newman and so many others that there isn't enough room, are all quiltmakers. They, and the others some of who are members of our gang, make no pretense that the work isn't a quilt.

Proudly, I proclaim I am a quiltmaker. It is my media and passion of choice. How I do it, whether with line drawings, photoshop, monoprint or rust....it is a quilt...and by golly, that's what they will always be.

Boy, what a rant...but embrace your passion....don't apologize for it. Use whatever you need to get it done....but to quote Nike, "Just Do It."

Stepping off the podium, to go make some quilts.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

I sometimes think the discussions along these lines are so overworked but mostly I'm baffled by it. I can't imagine poets sitting around trying to find another identifier for their work just to make it more palatable or to increase sales. Your rants always bring it back to the core for me. Getting up from this desk to go do something quilt related.

Deborah Boschert said...

Amen sister. I once was chatting with a super successful (quilt) artist who said she feels like she makes "collages." But then she was hung up on what one calls a person who makes collages. A collagist? Arg. Ho Hum. Puleeze. You make quilts. You are an artist.

I agree. I love making QUILTS. But, Gabrielle, I'm still not clear if you think the plastic bread bags qualify.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gabrielle. Like her, I am not interested in pushing the envelope regarding what constitutes a quilt nor am I interesting in giving my work some new name. What I make are art quilts. I enjoy fiber art like I see in "Surface" but I am not personally interested in making woven wire and twigs or whatever (even tho I WILL buy them).

So, we need to realize that we have two different art forms here....art quilts and fiber art. Either can utilize surface design and manipulation but, for the most part (ok, there is some overlap) they are different critters.

Carol Taylor makes art QUILTS and so does Michele Hardy....both manage to sell their work. Phil Jones has stepped somewhat over the line and is making, what I consider to be, fiber art. It's art, and it uses fiber, but the last 2 pieces I bought from him are NOT quilts. I still love them tho!!

I guess my point is: call it what it is...there is plenty of room for both.

teri

Jen said...

I'm glad you put this into words, and I realize I have been a little distracted by it. I have always loved quilts for what they are, and I love the connection to the women who have gone before us. I am proud to be a quiltmaker.
Jen

Blog Archive