Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Lost in the Studio and Kinko's Karma

Out of sight, out of mind...well, pretty much out of my mind most of the time anyway...but my studio and I have been having way too much fun this month. Not sure why I bothered to post the pictures since you can't see a darn thing. However, this is the first attempt to combine some abstract and realistic. Bet you were wondering how long I could go without doing another leaf quilt. Obviously not too long, but for me this is very different from the other leaf quilts. Hope springs eternal. Apologies it is so hard to see...reminder to self, buy a new Sharpie.

Truth be known, my day is already filled with anxiety. In Ann Arbor, I am teaching for the last time a floral class. Said class requires patterns that are 20" square...which requires a trip to Kinko's to use their oversize copier. Easy enough but for some reason I have weird karma with Kinko's. Something always goes wrong when trying to get the patterns copied. The machine runs out of paper...the machine prints them slightly askew...the machine doesn't work at all. My hope is that since Kinko's merger with FedEx the karma has changed. FedEx is a good karma experience...knocking on wood. This trip has my stomach all in knots at the thought of what could go wrong so sitting here blathering away in avoidance mode.

On the home front, apparently Texas is one of the few areas of the US that isn't hotter than a stove plate. We actually had rain this week....a rare occurence in July...and the high was only 81...a real treat. Never fear this will change and my apologies to everyone else for taking away their cooler weather....everyone else now knows what it is like here in summer. Every July and August, I question why we still live here and then fall, winter and spring and I remember why.
It is so nice to not shovel snow and have flowers in March.

Just noticed our still life for this week is supposed to be posted tomorrow...bleech. Haven't even started....this probably won't be done in fabric.....hope it gets done at all...good intentions don't get things done. Funny how you actually have to do the work instead of just thinking about it.

So this is the lamest post ever...finally coming to an end. No promises to stay out of the studio....hear it calling now....come play....lonely fabric is a sad thing.

3 comments:

Debra said...

Gabrielle,

There is NO WAY I would ask someone do something in a week!! It's A MONTH... no pressure, no worries... LOTS of time to delay, forget, dabble, travel, etc.

I just found out I'm on jury duty 8/24. So I'm already planning on only working on this during that day. A month of delays.. and a day of cornfusion to complete it.

Gerrie said...

I have a thing for leaves so would be happy to see them again!!

gabrielle said...

Mary and Deb, Thank you for saving myself from frantic work schedule. Must learn to read instructions more carefully....duh!

Blog Archive