Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Okay so I Lied

Wasn't going to post today because had so much to do to get ready for tomorrow...but here it is at 12:10 p.m. my time and the job is already done. Still have to sketch a design on the pfd to paint but that won't take a minute....going to use a small leaf design from two years ago...hard part already done.

First, let me say that blogging is addictive...and in spite, of all the rumors, takes no time at all. I sat down at 12:08 p.m. to upload pictures, and now posting probably all of ten to fifteen minutes total from start to finish. Myth dispelled...I am so busy I can't blog. Let me just add that there is probably no one busier than Mrs.Mel and I dain to include myself in that....yet somehow in our hours filled with so much art, knitting, cooking , cleaning, visiting with DH's and general BS we both manage to find time to natter away about what is going on in our lives. It (blogging) is actually a respite..when you hit a brick wall and need time to re-evaluate or when you have been sewing four hours and need to take a break, blogging can be a reward for all your hard work...and often re-focus your intentions.

Truth be known there isn't much exciting happening at the Casa. Yesterday found a toad so tiny it looked like a big cacaroach. Major event around here since everyone chemical dumps their yards but us. It is so hot that my croton has only yellow leaves...but the baby zinnas (so cute) are loving the heat and blooming like crazy.

Even worse and more boring, restraint set in and I did not attend the Nordstrom's sale. Can this woman be saved? See what being on a roll in the studio can save you. Probably it was the heat that kept me in but working sounds more arty. Did make it to the gym at 5 p.m. because of gaining 5 pounds from some unknown source...this cannot last. Although my trainer keeps telling me it is muscle..niggling thoughts going Ya, sure...I know better. I am still suffering with the dreaded bra fat. Any of you have this problem? Where the fat goes over the edges of your bra right at the place where the bra meets the back of your shoulder...not a pretty site.

The real answer is while I have been going to the gym twice a week down from three time. I have fallen off on the rowing. When the million meter mark ticked over, the glory got to me....so instead of every day, only rowing about three times a week. Not going to stay thin that way.

On the medical front, my cholestrol is way down 184 thanks to lipitor; HDL is 34 but trigylcerides so high they couldn't measure the LDL. So now taking niacin to lower that...who knows what this combo will do...back in January for another check. Thanks to Debra for all the diet hints....weeds and seeds...remember when that meant something fun.

So this is the exciting life of a traveling quilt artist....gotta ship stuff of next week for the Ann Arbor gig, orders on DVD's to be shipped, filming for 10 to 12 hours tomorrow and then hopefully some time in the studio....oops forgot about eating and laundry...oh, who needs it. Seriously folks, often this working for yourself is tougher than having a boss to tell you what to do when, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Now officially off blog until filming is done...have a productive weekend....and remember all that glitters doesn't necessairly go with every emsemble.

5 comments:

Val said...

Blogging IS addictive and I can attest to the fact that how ever busy the day I can always find time to blog! I'm glad that others find this possible too or there would be nothing to read!

Deb R said...

I haven't blogged yet today because I am far, FAR too busy and important, dahling....oh, wait a minute...NOT! (snort!) It's just been a very quiet day at the Richardson household.

I hadn't heard about the niacin thing. Is that supposed to help bring down LDL or triglycerides or both? 'course I think I already take it, but I could check and see if it's safe to up the dose. My LDL number is fine, but my tri's are too high.

Debra said...

ooo.. Niacin. Tried that when I was trying not to take meds for my cholesterol. Not fun. I got that itchy/flushy thing to the extreme.

Why do I think trygliderides (I should learn how to spell that).. will be the cholesterol of the '0x's??

Cathy said...

I also tried the niacin fix. I got to about 250 mg. Then, I quit. I developed hot flashes and a rash. I decided to quit since that itchy/flushy thing is definately not fun.

Sonji Hunt said...

Gabrielle, bra fat is from having the wrong fitting bra. You need to get professionally measured so that you have a perfectly fitting cup size. Our breasts change size all the time (my husband says, oh yes, I've noticed that...too much information) and most women just keep wearing the same size year after year. GO GET MEASURED. You will be amazed at your smoothness. You are so tiny, you shouldn't have any ripples.

Blog Archive