Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Contemplate This

"The fatal metaphor of progress, which means leaving things behind us, has utterly obscured the real idea of growth, which means leaving things inside us."
G. K. Chesterton


This stopped me in my tracks, went to bed thinking of it and hope it will stay with me for a few days. Don't know how deeply it will effect anyone else but for some reason, known only to my little gray cells, Mr. Chesterton's words resonated like the sound of a beautful piece of music. Of, course, I could just be going over the edge...but then I was already there.

Thanks for all the comments on my rant. Getting that out of my system will keep me good for awhile...and thanks Teri for the quote from Ned Wert's class. I knew what is was trying to explain about the piece but your words from him captured it perfectly.

Someone needs to chain me to a needle....all I want to do is go start the new piece. Being in the studio keeps me from wanting to buy new shoes. Serving a double purpose...getting new pieces started and not spending money....double your pleasure, etc. Not sure why I am compelled to get this new work in the pipeline but then no one ever accused me of being balanced and thoughtful.

Get those grills heated up....the hot dogs are on the way.

No comments:

Blog Archive