Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Indignities and Indulgences

Typical story at my house, in the middle of a major project, my printer goes out. Call tech support and carefully follow their directions....still no printer. Politely, they give me the address of a local repair shop that honors their warranties. Stop project and move on to sewing.

Suddenly, dawns on me that I have to have my blood tested for cholestrol today. No biggie, except the fasting. Eating late is not a problem but no diet coke...oh the suffering. Clinic opens early so I dash over with 2 cold diet cokes in the car....and faster than they can close the vial...out to the diet cokes.

These are the indignities....how can they ask this of the queen of diet coke.....much less the printer problem. Deliver the printer, drinking coke all the way and joy of joys, remember that one of the finest art supply stores in Fort Worth is right down the block from the computer repair shop.

This is the indulgences...could the tone of the day have turned to a brighter shade of success.
Pull the super black Nissan into the art supply store and lo, and behold, they open at eight am.
My guardian angel is working overtime. Spent an hour or two drooling over everything in the store and then got down to business. Got a new roll of paper, 3 new brushes, 3 new Pigma pens, a calligraphic pigma pen, the entire color range of Windsor New inks, and new gel medium for watercolors.

Explanation of gel medium: All gel medium is polymer base, in fact it is acrylic paint without the pigment. The heavier the medium the more it changes the hand of the fabric...something that is a concern for me with the hand work. The watercolor medium is much less polymer and can be thinned with water for even better blending and less weight. If it is used without water, it should take two days to dry; with water, one day to dry.

Last but not least, my favorite body worker, Liz called to see if I wanted to a massage to start the weekend off right. This, of course, was a rehetorical question. Drove over, got the knots beaten out of my shoulders and now, ready to sew.

See nothing is all bad or all good. Sorry still no pictures of Jambalaya but they are coming.

Karoda asked how we name our quits. This is such a long story better saved for tommorow....but Karoda, the wheels are turning on the answer.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Hey, Gabrielle, hope your blood work comes back as good as mine did. I carry my cup of hot coffee into the lab with me and get my fix as they are sticking that cotton ball on my arm.

Great news about the art store.. can you give me more information about the gel medium for watercolor? (who makes it? I haven't seen it).

Blog Archive