Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Getting It Together

Finally got in the leaving home mode....almost packed...still no clothes but who will notice, right? Gotta hit the road about 9 am so plently of time. Bryan, Texas is the home of Texas A& M and about a four hour drive on two lane black top. Ugh! This Texas girl is used to driving around 70 at all times.....won't happen today.

Bryan/College Station is a lovely town; however, I can't huzzah the Aggies. Thom graduated from Florida State....go Seminoles....and is now at Baylor Law....go Bears. Keep mouth shut about college sports....this is about quiltmaking.

The heat here is in full bloom....come on down and visit....bring some snow and ice. We are just house bound at a different time of the year. Summertime in Texas is vampire schedule...we do everything at night and even then it is still in the low 90's or high 80's. You know it isn't going to be a good day when you wake up and it is already 80.

Since this is just nattering, and I am feeling a little sad that nobody is reading my natterings.....here comes a curve ball. Karl Rove, the boy wonder, has finally stepped in a cow paddy. Could it be possible that he did reveal the name of a covert operative? You betcha. Will he be taken to task for it....nah. George the second values loyalty over reality, truth, and sensibility.

He (George) was our governor for what seems like my entire adult life. His no child left behind should be no state left behind. Texas ranks 49th in education due to his valuable insights. 49th, folks from teaching students to take tests instead of really learning.

All right..shut up, Gabrielle and get packing.....probably if I had spent the day sewing my mood would be better. Getting to be with other quiltmakers will definitely bright my day. See you again on Thursday.

7 comments:

Deb R said...

I'm reading! :-)

Sounds like the Texas ed. system is as bad off as KY's. Sigh.

Karoda said...

debr posted what i was going to say...i think we've moved up to what 45 or 44 since reform.

rove, ....ummmmm, rove....now a criminal trial resulting in guilty...that would be a dream come true.

Gerrie said...

I've been reading just not posting. I am trying to limit my blog activities! Rove must go!! Let's keep saying that over and over!!

Melody Johnson said...

Thanks again for revealing the inadequacies of the Moron at the helm and his henchmen. ugh.

Cathy said...

Colorado is close to Texas, our school district esp. since there was a superintendent that came here from TX. No child left behind has destroyed our education system.

Deb Lacativa said...

hmmph. Last I checked, Georgia was 50th in SAT scores and 1st in teen pregnancy. For whatever they got out of it, I am glad my sons are finished with what passes for a school system here. I got a dent in my head for beating it against a wall (the school board) and they got GEDs. It wouldn't surprise me at all that some colleges would look more favorably on a hard won GED than a diploma from any Georgia High School.

Unknown said...

Imagine what would happen if everybody who blogged posted that statistic??? 49th wow thanks for that info...Ginger

Blog Archive