Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Onward to Construction

Being a slightly lazy soul and anxious to see how this series is going to grow, I am going to the studio to work on the piece we all decided needed to be vertical. In theory if it is a good composition, it should look good from any direction but we are going to throw that art school axiom out the window. You can break the rules if you know them...so off we go.
Deb asked if I was going to keep or lose the arc/half circles. Yep, they are gone. I was just over-designing. I have decided to use a single piece of fabric with some kind of fabulous surface design....as yet to be determined. If I can get enough done today to make it worthwhile, I will post some pics tomorrow.
Now to our regularly scheduled philosophical diatribe: (I fear one day you will kick me off the ring for all this blathering but until then.....) Last night while driving home from the gym, I was overwhelmed with this feeling....probably just endorphins...but suddently I knew what was lacking in my studio. I have not been relaxing into my work. Seriously, honestly, the phrase, "Relax into the work" was as clear as someone else had spoken it to me.
So, as you might imagine, dear readers, I had to ponder this thought...couldn't just do it..had to figure it out first. Conclusion....yep, I go to the studio tense, worried even on occasion that nothing will come. Or that what will come will be unworkable, not what I'm after and whole litany of self-indulgences.
Surprising to me with the mantra of "Just do the work," but there it was anyway. How do you go to the studio? Excited, of course, at the prospect of getting to work but are you relaxing into the work? Does the smallest incident set you into a spin....like the bobbin thread screwing up.
I am hoping that I can go toward this attitude of relaxation. Will keep you posted.

Comments on comments regarding the conversation between my son and I: Thanks for all the very thoughtful posts. I do think he is amazing, erudite, and incredible talented. He is building a portion of Route 66 in model railroad, Val. Hope he answered your email.
In our house, if you couldn't keep up with the conversation, you had to study to get to the table. So while, it has been years since I have had any influence on any of my sons when you come to our house, be prepared for witty, wry and over-intellectualized conversation. I blame their father.

No comments:

Blog Archive