Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Almost Time to Go Home/Competition

We have just about done it all at this point. Spent all the money, played the slot machines and drooled over all the quilts. All in all another great year at Paducah. Just read Melody's thoughts on competition.....gotta chime in here. Mel, you know better and you know that is not why you make quilts. You are an artist working in fiber...end of story. I remember about ten years ago I told one of my painter friends that I always made a difference between my commercial and my personal work. Did I ever get my ear full...there is only your work...not competition, commercial or personal...just your work.
This almost the same argument as form and function for me. We are just artist.....no matter what media we chose. Hangin on the wall or layin on the bed doesn't change the intention just the location.

No comments:

Blog Archive