Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Monday, April 11, 2005

How Time Flies

Home from California and working like a mad fool on the challenge quilt for next year's MAQS auction. Amazing how much you can get done when you really work. I have two segments between the branches to finish quilting and then in the ditch quilting on the border. Of course, there is squaring up, binding, and sleeve which all expand to fit the time allowed.
Naturally this week was supposed to be devoted entirely to the quilt but somehow I got side-tracked...in a good way. Got to baby sit with Collin and Cyrus tonight...wow..how they have grown. Chris, our son in the Army, is coming tomorrow to start filming the new DVD on surface design for applique. Probate on mother in law's estate is Thursday......Saturday I absolutely have to get my hair done for Paducah and Monday, Barbara Hartman and I head for Kentucky. I have visions on sewing on binding and sleeve in the car...yikes.
What is the deal with all this time slipping away from me? The challenge quilt is the only piece I have made this year and it is already April. I absolutely am not giving up working by hand.....you heard it hear first...but the frustration level is rising. Breathe.....breathe...visualize that you have all the time you need to complete the work you wish.
Do not give in to the pressure to produce.....grrr! The time is there just use it wisely. Of course, the first week of May I will be at the Out of Heart and Hand Retreat in Cambria, Ca and the middle of May at The Applique Society Show......but somewhere there is a quilt in there, I can feel it appearing....no desire, just following the flow.
How many of you work by hand? Do you share the same frustrations?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I work almost entirely by machine, but I feel just as frustrated. I'm always stuck in the docotr's office or at yet anonther boring school meeting and can't sew. I finally broke down and started a blackwork piece just so that I'd have something productive to work on. I call it my 5 year jacket since it will probably take me that long to complete.

PaMdora said...

I don't work by hand, but I often get frustrated at how time it takes me to draw before I ever start a quilt. Sometimes it seems like it takes FOREVER! It probably would surprise people how long it takes to do a simple-looking drawing.

It's not just that you spend all that time on one, but all things you do that you throw away. Probably not nearly as long as hand-quilting a quilt, but you know the saying "I would have written a shorter letter if I'd had more time." I really believe this applies to art in a big way!

Blog Archive