Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Free Night

Oops...I forgot to download the pictures of the teaching staff at dinner on our free night. Tomorrow, I will be better. However, the amazing news is homework from the night before. The assignment was to pick five words that described the creative process......positive or negative. Then you had to trade a word with your table mate and finally create a statement from that...wow! Absolutely the most incredible stuff ever written. My goal was to teach them to translate the visual into the verbal. They were so overwhelmed with each other's statements that Robbie Robertson, who I cannot look at without thinking of The Band, complied them all and is making copies for each of us. You know what that means dear reader, you will soon be reading them on ye olde blog. In response, they each gave me a word...20 words...that I had to turn into a statement. My first homework from a class ever.
Here is my statement:
The enjoyment of creativity is not only all consuming but also brings a beautiful strength to one's life. It is liberating to find inspiration through persistance....searching always to tempt the viewer to enter into the world through the music in your heart....ceasing the judgemental opinions the often contrive as art. While the work is stimulating, it can be lonely but the sensous quality of our medium used in a painterly way urges us to focus on evoking our own vision, whether humorous or socially relevant. It is the process of creation, the simplicity of finding our own voice and the joy of discovery that brings us to the quiet place in our spirit...that place of wholeness and purity.
See ya'll tomorrow.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

Yesterday, I was hanging out with my friend, Diana Roberts, who took your class last year. I told her about your blog and how you are sharing your class assignments with us. She said your's was one of the best classes she has ever taken because of these mental tasks that you give.

This is the first year that I have not gone to Asilomar - I am going to Art Quilt Tahoe instead and you are making me very nostalgic!!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

I like this very much. In addition to creating a focus, it helps the artists get a feel for handling language. I have known more than one person who felt that their artist's statement was a real struggle. Thanks for sharing this.
Jen

Blog Archive