Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Just Thinking

Work on the quilt is coming along pretty fast for a hand appliquer...oh Melody, that I could give it up and fuse. So anyway, while sewing your mind goes a million miles an hour.....making new quilts and pondering the life we lead....you know the quote, "An unexamined life etc." So I was wondering why we set ourselves up for so much grief. It is has to be that old boogey man caalled expectations. I know I talk about this more than you probably want to hear but it just keeps coming back to me all the time.
With no expectations, you are always plesantly surprised at the events that occur and never disappointed when nothing happens. Seeing the universe as always giving what we need when we need it keeps you in the flow....dancing with every day regardless of what it brings. Truly, I understand how difficult this is but just knowing that it can be done brings me great joy.
Don't you have those days that are just golden? Where everything is working in a rhythm all your own? Honestly, you can do this every day if you allow yourself.
Take for example, since we are quilt artist, the concept of perfection. Bleech..what an impossible concept. Perfection is the nemesis of creativity. Creativity is a messy, frought with errors, problem solving play. Perfection is mechanical, often without heart and only technique. I want my brain surgeon to be perfect...don't get in there and groove around...."Hmmm, let's see what happens if I do this?" But I want my artist to be revelatory, exploratory and always working for what is just beyond.
This doesn't mean that you can't have a business plan or a studio discipline. It just means work with the energy, not against it.
Sorry y'all...I rag on this way too much but we just gotta get it in the end before we end up empty...with the well gone dry. Now aren't you sorry I started sewing.....
More pictures tomorrow when there is something new to see.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Those golden days when you can feel the flow are very special. I am a great believer in the power of positive thought.
Thanks so much for sharing your creative process, I am looking forward to seeing how this quilt looks when completed. Jen

Melody Johnson said...

Dahlink, this is exactly the message I needed to read this morning.
I am starting over on my diet, since I was a pig the last few days. I must go with the flow more and relax. I will get done as much as I have the time for, and nothing else.
Although I am making a new lace scarf and am starting that over for the third time. But no frustration will overtake me this morning. No interruptions, no screaming at the cat for getting on my pattern just when I am trying to see if it is YO or K2tog!!!
I will breathe...and rip the damn thing out until it is right!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

On perfectionsism, I just read this yesterday in a Salvador Dali book "50 secrets of magic crafsmanship": "Don't be afraid of perfection: you'll never attain it!"
Wow! Talk about a lightbulb moment. I've struggled with perfectionism my whole life, and this has completely shifted my way of thinking. So I think you're onto something here Gabrielle..

Nikki said...

Please keep ragging on this! I'm struggling with perfectionism and procrastination and all the other crap that keeps me from making quilts and your insights are really helpful.

I'm also inspired by the fact that you make such wonderful quilts by hand. I love the things I can do with my sewing machine, but I'm coming to realize that I much prefer the process of handwork.

Blog Archive