Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Cruising through the new piece


okay so I changed the background

As you can see things are going well on the new piece. Each segment of the background is a separate piece of fabric....to produce the radiating lines. I applique each of these pieces instead of piecing them since making a template for each piece would take just as much time as template free applique.
To answer Lisa's question, the reverse applique goes in first and then the shape is applied to the background. See close-up of surface design. However, Lisa I do cut up my hand applique when I make quilts like Maple Breaks or the newest two in the Earth Strata series...both can be seen on my website.
The first layer of surface design on the leaves was done with Shiva paint sticks. The next layer will be pen and ink to add darker texture and finally quilting...but who knows I might get out the colored pencils before I finish. Remember all these techniques are compatible with each other so there is no end to what you can do.
Since this piece is coming along so quickly, I took the time this morning to pull out another design.....imagine if I had more than a week home. I might really get some work done.
My suggestion for the day is to not have a clock in your studio. I have a cd player/radio in the studio that has a clock blinking 12:00....so twice a day the clock is right. However, I don't watch the clock...or worry about the time....I am just in the studio working. Give it a try....could be liberating.Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

The background is lovely. Love watching this progress.

Cathy said...

I like this, very nice.

Blog Archive