Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005


bi-furcated leaf preparing to be cut up in a grid


As you can see, we made it through the first day with some great results. They loved the homework assignment...felt it made them focus on what they wanted to do. There's that word again: FOCUS. Today's homework was to use a word to describe the emotion that you favorite artist evokes within you. Tonight's homework will be word play...explanation tomorrow.
Weather is beautiful...wish you were here.....wish I was sewing.
Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This is so much fun to watch everyone. Almost as good as being there. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time.

Karoda said...

Gabrielle, I have not studied artists or had enough exposure to numerous and diverse artists to answer the question, but I know that O'Keefe's flowers comfort and relax me. They give me a sense of secret mystery about life. I know that Hollis' Blue Men took my breath away and made me gasp. I could feel and hear the sand and the heat of the desert. I loved the feeling of being transported away.

So does this mean I would like my own work to be relaxing, comforting, and provide a sense of mysticism and magic...yeap! I think I would love to create work that has that effect on people.

Debra said...

Gabrielle,

Looks like you are having a fabulous workshop. (note to self... she gives homework!!)

I'm working on answering some of the questions in my blog. This is FUN.

Blog Archive