Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

What Is the Work About?

The day to depart for Paducah is coming closer.....and believe it or not, I may actually get everything done. All I have been thinking about is getting home so I can make quilts which is a big problem. I am not in the moment....but in the future which never comes. Everything is right now no matter where you are....you are there.
I wonder if all the external events in the world aren't having a deep effect on many of us. They seem so hard to avoid....not to fall into the black hole as if you are constantly passing an accident on the freeway. Yet how can we as artist not address, at least in our thoughts, the world at large? My work has centered on environmental issues using the leaf and tree designs. We are not separate from nature but a part of it....and yet, our government is the least interested in what our environmental legacy will be.
There are no expectations on my part that the work will make a difference. It is just something I feel deeply and must express. Creativity is the deepest compulsion of our lives. We do it in small ways each day....and occasionally, in large ways through art and public protest.
However, recently my thoughts have been turning inward....toward a time where I will lead a less public life. I love teaching....being with the students is such fellowship...and yet, the impulse to create is becoming overwhelming.
Through the past 22 years, being in the studio was the greater part of my life.....now it is a few months a year. I think I am becoming neurotic from the lack of working....of course, that would mean that I wasn't neurotic before....hmmm.
Apologies for the venting....back to packing....will try to stay in touch from Paducah....while I am gone, make more quilts.

2 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Of course I completely understand your feelings. I got back into the studio on Friday and Saturday and the work is progressing in such an exciting way (my #3 in the series of Matchstick Moons!!!!) and it lifts me up like nothing else can. O I will be coming to Paducah too and will arrive Tuesday and leave Thursday. It seems nutty to drop everything and leave for a quilt show...but it is really a reunion visit, isn't it? To see those who we only get to see at shows like this.
See you and Barbara there I hope.

Debra said...

Gabrielle,

Rosemary Eichorn felt this so strongly that she announced an atleast 1 year hiatus from teaching because she craved studio time.

I'm sure you are booked far into the next couple years... but could you give yourself permission to carve a few months out of the future and book yourself?

Blog Archive