Things are getting more and more eccentric at Casa de la Swain. Changing styles in my textile work, falling in love again with painting and photography...and then there is the ever illusive quest for continuing creativity through working with Eric Maisel. Still on the road teaching, posting now at the Ragged Cloth Cafe and taking the pledge to keep handmaiden up to date.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Just Me, My Needle and Live 365

What a great day! Started the morning with room service breakfast...don't you just love the decandence of it all? Was going to start on some surface design but have to lecture tonight so thought better of it. Instead, got out some sections from the new leaf design and decided to sew. Immediately, the whole world looked brighter...and am up for tonight.

Like many of us on the ring, the news aggitates me to no end....so turned my laptop to www.live365.com

This is a wonderful internet radio station that has music and what they call spoken word. Under spoken word, they play old radio shows....especially my favorite the old time mysteries, Sam Spade, Inner Sanctum and many more. Makes me feel like a little girl sitting on my grandfather's lap listening intently and imagining. That's the problem for me with television...nothing is left to the imagination. I can picture Sam Spade as Humphrey Bogart or Howard Duff, who usually is the voice of Sam. Kinda makes me wonder if we shouldn't get our children and grandchildren to sit around the computer and listen, like I used to sit in front of the radio, writing and drawing. Now this certainly dates me, but we didn't get a tv until I was 5 years old....so I really remember the radio shows. Even after tv first went on the air, radio was still going strong. It took several years for tv to rule the airways.

Kinda makes you wonder if our imaginations are being truncated by having everything shown to us...leaving nothing to wonder about. This is the reason that reading is so important....it sparks the imagination in the same way...through visualization.

So here I sit until 4 p.m. when it will be time to get dressed for the lecture, needle in hand and wondering how Sam is going to get out of the jam he has managed to get into this time. Low tech meets high tech in the most delightful way.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

Oh, I'm so glad that your sojourn in California is turning out to be therapeutic!!

Melody Johnson said...

Quel Romantique!I love old radio and listen to story programs on NPR (This American Life) while I work. Thanks for the link, I will follow it.

Deb Lacativa said...

We used to wander the FM dial late at night when my kids couldn't sleep. One night we came across a recording of Dylan Thomas reading his own "Under Milkwood".We were all spellbound. I often listen to books on CD and if one of the boys happens by, I am sure to have company for a while and a borrowing in the future.

Blog Archive